Wan performance of wrt1900acs vs Netgear R7800

@hnyman ah so no edge router / and other use ... I see.

I say that wrt1900acs v2 handles very well both with dd-wrt and openwrt http://s.go.ro/ybu83txf

I tested both software variants and I am satisfied with its performance!

@oli so many ppl even devs can confirm that marvell is not supported well in dd-wrt/openwrt... regarding to the WIFI AP ... as router it should work ok.

@ACwifidude hello, is R7800-20201231-MasterNSS-factory.img file equal to the official one > http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.5/targets/ipq806x/generic/openwrt-19.07.5-ipq806x-generic-netgear_r7800-squashfs-factory.img ?

Is there any description how to flash that factory image on r7800 with original firmware? thanks

It is based off of master - the developmental main “trunk” (5.4 kernel). 19.07 is a branch off of master back in July 2019 (4.14 kernel).

You can flash the factory image in your factory gui.

thank you i will try to flash via netgear factory ui -> https://github.com/ACwifidude/openwrt/blob/kernel5.4-nss-qsdk10.0/bin/targets/ipq806x/generic/R7800-20201231-MasterNSS-factory.img

@ACwifidude any idea why stock firmware shows in FW update section once i load the openwrt bin file Uploaded Version OpenWrt.r15366+83

what exactly is 15366+83? i thought its the latest 19x image?

"Latest 19x image" means June 2019 code plus some fixes. 19.07.x is mainly stale code.

Pretty much all development happens in the bleeding edge "master" branch. Like the NSS development. It is not done to the 2-year old 19.07 branch, but onto the current up-to.date master branch.

That means the master "r15366" ( = roughly as 28 Dec 2020) + 83 private new commits that are not in the official OpenWrt (= the NSS stuff)

1 Like

thanks mate!

@oli which FW do you suggest for wrt1900ac v1? thanks

for Linksys variants if you want performance in speed test on the cable side 950 Mbps choose version 19.7, if you want the latest updates the maximum speed on the wire will only be 890Mbps, choose the latest version of Daniel..
To be honest, I got used to the version proposed by Daniel, I have another subject, try DDWRT, I saw good performance on both wire and wifi, you just have to play with the settings and you can have good performance!
However I recommend OpenWrt much lite and it is not so aggressive with the components here I mean lower temperatures and the web interface does not have many bugs, well lately and ddwrt no longer has problems with the web interface and I like that it supports ipv6 and other functions ...
for now I'm running the latest version of Daniel and I'm happy, on the wifi side you have to play with the settings from the wif network card on your PC, Laptop ....

I apologize for the offtopic and I wish you good luck!

hello,
quite long time passed since the last comment... we already have openwrt 21.02.1... so is it possible to say what is the best version/ branch for netgear r7800 with 1gbit wan?

thanks!

@pwned @ACwifidude any idea here? thx

@ACwifidude there is no more dev on this?

No more dev on that branch. That was based on the old 5.4 master. I’m now building on 21.02 and 5.10 master. I’ve got links to both in this thread :sunglasses:

@ACwifidude thx will check, and there is some major benefit compare to the official one?
i saw build goals/ Features but these are not included in the official one?

My build is built to maximize the R7800’s performance. It activates the two NSS hardware offloading cores (official OpenWrt builds do not). With those additional CPUs the R7800 can support full 940mbps speeds wired and upper 500 mbps / low 600 mbps wireless (~30% improvement).

Well, was also checking forum for ac1900v1 ... but seems all threads are dead,
is there something existing with the best performance ~1gbit/wan? thanks

Via an “all in one” the main 2 options are WRT32x and ipq8065 devices (with NSS hardware offloading).

Currently, x86 or similar custom solution will afford you more speed and latency control.