Wan performance of wrt1900acs vs Netgear R7800

@ACwifidude so officail openwrt doesnt support it? also in that case it can do ~900mbit there is no point to have separate edge router?

Yes, there is no official support. You have to make either your own build or use any community build like that from @ACwifidude linked above.

Yep - what pwned said. You’ll have to build or use a community build.

I have asymmetric 940/35 internet service and I’m using a r7800. :sunglasses:

Not yet tried with openWRT but on a R7800 with the Voxel firmware I've reached 910 Mbps and 200-300 or more in upload

@wireless what exactly is voxel firmware?

@pwned does wrt1900acs support hw offload? cant find it ;/

@pwned i was told its same driver, so no change on the AP side.

@pwned does wrt1900ac v1 support hw offload?
@pwned i think comparing edge-x, wrt1900acs and GL-MV1000 - it looks like GL-MV1000 has the best CPU & RAM and 8GB emmc +sd card storage, compare to wrt1900ac which has only 512MB

@pwned for what is good IPQ806x NSS Drivers ?

@pwned also it looks like there is no stable/official openwrt firmware for GL-MV1000

@ACwifidude are there also bin images if i dont want to build it manually?

I don't know. I don't own the device. On paper it has as far I as I can google.

If OpenWrt support it I cannot find information. Might be it supports "software offload" "only" to reach the 1GB on WAN side. Which is good enough.

Y, I've mixed up the fact that a lot of Linksys devices are Broadcom (which have poor driver support) driven. This device is not. Sorry.

See above. There is a community build ("DavidC") for this devices. Maybe its better to ask there ppl. owning this device.

About this point I would be very carefully. I doubt that a "newer" "Armada 88F3720" running @1GHz can equal out @1,6GHz of an older one. But that's a personal opinion!

As far as I know there is sth. like "Fastpath" technology for Qualcomm devices available. NSS drivers are giving access to this technology and you can max out WAN speed. The link was intended as a reference link for the build @ACwifidude has posted.

Y, the device was released in Sept. 2019. The chances it gets into stable 20.xx are good. When it will be released I don't know.

The link @ACwifidude gave is pointing into the binary folder directly.

Wifi on WRT3200 is fine (from what I can tell it's pretty much the same as on WRT1900ACS), at least 5Ghz however I've only used Qualcomm and Intel clients so your milage may vary. If you're concerned about hitting Gbit I'd suggest that you look at a decent ARM SBC such as the RockPro64 and pop in a dual port Intel Gbit NIC. It hits Gbit speeds without any issues in general however I don't know how well it's supported in OpenWrt and it will lack WiFi but you can use pretty much anything you like as an AP running OpenWrt.

that's maybe ot, by the way... It's a custom firmware made by user Voxel of this forum.
It's add features and upgraded packages to the original firmware. I'm using it with kamoj plugin that expands the numbers of features supported.

@pwned so this device has better support in DD-wrt?

Yep. You can load those builds directly from OEM (factory) or from an OpenWRT build (sysupgrade).

No. It should be equal because its driver base is the same. Driver base is different for Broadcom chipset based routers only. WRT1900acs is not Broadcom based.

Not in practice (with OpenWrt).

mvebu routers (like WRT1900ACS) have more CPU power than R7800.

mvebu routers have a feature-incomplete abandoned wifi driver, so if you need anything else than basic wifi (without 802.11r or 802.11w or ...), mvebu is not optimal.

Ps. I have both R7800 and mvebu WRT3200ACM, and I use R7800 as the main router. But I do not have gigabit ethernet. My own verdict is that mvebu routers have more raw CPU power, but wifi is crappy.
https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues

1 Like

@hnyman for what do u use wrt3200acm then? thx

Thx for clarifying this.

Just as secondary WiFi AP at the other end of the house.
(And I am sticking to basic WiFi and also disabled WPA3 as wrt3200acm does not like mixed WPA2/WPA3 mode)

@hnyman ah so no edge router / and other use ... I see.

I say that wrt1900acs v2 handles very well both with dd-wrt and openwrt http://s.go.ro/ybu83txf

I tested both software variants and I am satisfied with its performance!

@oli so many ppl even devs can confirm that marvell is not supported well in dd-wrt/openwrt... regarding to the WIFI AP ... as router it should work ok.

@ACwifidude hello, is R7800-20201231-MasterNSS-factory.img file equal to the official one > http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.5/targets/ipq806x/generic/openwrt-19.07.5-ipq806x-generic-netgear_r7800-squashfs-factory.img ?

Is there any description how to flash that factory image on r7800 with original firmware? thanks