Wan connection problematic

May I please apologize in advance. i am using dd-wrt, but I am having a problem using udhcpc v1.32.0
at the command line to get a wan address and I believe openwrt uses the same thing. DD-WRT forums are unavailable. I think they are too busy trying to make a living off of that.
The problem is that udhcpc works fine to get a wan address when the wan port it is connected to a switched port of another of my home routers, but if I can connect to the ethernet connect of my ISP whether it's cable or fiber, it can sit for hours and not get a dhcp ip address. Also the cheap home wifi routers don't have a problem getting an address on the wan port. The router in question, linksys 1900ACS can go for months and not have this problem and all of sudden it will come up. Thank you so much in advance!

That's less likely an issue with udhcpc itself, but rather the underlying networking hardware (mac, phy, switch) and its drivers, courtesy of the running kernel (which would be specific to dd-wrt).

3 Likes

How does that tell me anything that would help me with this problem that I don't already know? I suppose it is nicer than saying install Open-wrt or get out of here. :smiley:

It's an explanation why we can't help you, or to add the canned reply:

Your post does not appear to be related to an officially released OpenWrt version, package or supported operation.

It is unlikely that you will receive useful input here.

Please seek advise from the relevant maintainer.

udhcpc is part of busybox and used by virtually any plastic router, regardless of the manufacturer or firmware. There surely can be issues, but those would be so wide-spread to not be very likely (or affect a huge number of people), what differs between firmwares (a lot) is its orchestration (networking code) and most importantly, the kernel and its drivers - and that's where OpenWrt and dd-wrt differ, a lot.

3 Likes

Thank you for your response.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.