W9980 Install via web-interface hack not working

Hi, I followed the guide to hack my W9980 following this link https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/td-w9980#install_openwrt_via_web_interface_hack_without_opening_the_case

The installation seemed fine and everything went as stated in the guide, but after having installed the firmware in mtdblock1 and mtdblock2, I rebooted my router and the web interface doesn't work. I can't connect to anymore, even with telnet. The guide stated that I should have openwrt webinterface after the reboot. Did I miss something? I did the backup on the usb external drive, but without telnet working I can't even restore it.

Which firmware did you use? The Chaos Calmer is pretty old and it would be better to try a newer version.
Also telnet is deprecated, so can you try with SSH instead?
Does ping work?

I used the chaos chalmer since is the latest .image file (and not squashfs .bin file). The guide updated the firmware after the chaos chalmer firmware upload, so I think this is the way. However, ping doesn't work, seems the router doesn't have an IP. I'm pretty sure it's bricked, but I wonder how I can use the backup I made into the usb drive to restore it

My guess is to follow the opposite direction of the commands you used to make the backup.
Do you have a serial interface cable to connect to the router?

I do, I only need some wires to solder which I don't have at the moment. I don't know how to use the mtd0~mtd6 backups using the serial connection though.

I am guessing here:

cat /var/usbdisk/sda1/mtd0 > /dev/mtd0
cat /var/usbdisk/sda1/mtd1 > /dev/mtd1
cat /var/usbdisk/sda1/mtd2 > /dev/mtd2
cat /var/usbdisk/sda1/mtd3 > /dev/mtd3
cat /var/usbdisk/sda1/mtd4 > /dev/mtd4
cat /var/usbdisk/sda1/mtd5 > /dev/mtd5

Don't use cat for binary files, always use dd for binary files

This seems more appropriate

1 Like

Then the device documentation page should be updated too to use dd instead of cat, otherwise it can be misleading.

I finally managed to use some cables and connect through the serial port, installed openwrt using the standard procedure and now it works. Maybe the webinterface method is not very reliable

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.