[CLOSED] Vs 22.03 keeps missing the gateway

It doesn't sound like it... you wouldn't be troubleshooting gateway issues if things were working perfectly.

The thing is, there are lots of problems with the configs you posted. And trying to reverse engineer it to understand the intent is not particularly useful here.

Trying to make a single device operate as a dumb AP, wireless and/or wired client, and VPN endpoint all at the same time is not generally a good idea.

You can fairly easily make a few configurations happen:
a) wired dumb AP
b) option a + a routed network on a different SSID (and/or ethernet ports) that uses the VPN.
c) a wired or wireless client that sets up a NAT'd LAN (i.e. a different subnet that will be double-NAT'd)
d) option c + VPN
e) a wireless repeater (using relayd)

Combining some of these is possible, but it will significantly complicate your configuration...

... and based on this, I'm not sure that trying to make a jack-of-all-trades device is really the best option right now...

I'm still not really clear on how this device is supposed to operate and why your stated requirements seem to have what would be, in most situations, mutually exclusive operating modes.

Wait, you have 3 devices...

OpenWrt shouldn't be a router in your diagram.

• What is the IP?
  • Also, does the OpenWrt have a firewall config?

Wait, I never said this;

Trying to make a single device operate as a dumb AP, wireless and/or wired client, and
VPN endpoint all at the same time is not generally a good idea.

I said I use all those modes but I don't use them at the same time.

It's how it is now and it's working perfectly.
It doesn't sound like it... you wouldn't be troubleshooting gateway issues if things were working perfectly.

But that's the thing, it is all working fine. It's only this ping issue that I'm trying to understand. I know that the network file needs to be edited as you've shared but even as it is now, all of these different modes work perfectly.

The thing I don't understand is why only this device is seeing this missing gateway issue.

The thing is, there are lots of problems with the configs you posted. And trying to reverse engineer it to understand the intent is not particularly useful here.

I'm still not really clear on how this device is supposed to operate and why your stated
requirements seem to have what would be, in most situations, mutually exclusive operating
modes.

But they aren't. I'm not sure why my text keeps coming out saying anything but that? I am not using all these things simultaneously and the only thing I need to do as step one is to fix the network files. That may even resolve the weird ping issue but the missing gateway in mainly what I posted about, looking for ideas on how I can diagnose this.

Maybe there is no way to help me then. I just have to figure out how to improve my network file, the rest is a mystery until I find the cause.

The openwrt device is not being used as a router, it's just a device on the LAN I use. It's gateway/s are upstream as noted above.

What is the IP?

What is the IP of what? The openwrt router? It's what ever it gets from the DHCP server but I've set it to static DHCP so that it's easier for me to test.

I think this question is starting to get confused so it might not be worth continuing.

I'm running two 22.03 now and what's interesting is that one is missing the gateways more than the other and they have slightly different network files only. That leads me to further believe that the only problem I'm having is due to the network file not being correct. Everything else on these are identical.

I changed the network to the following;

config interface 'loopback'
    option device 'lo'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
    option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
    option ula_prefix 'fd21:c667:49ef::/48'

config device
    option name 'br-lan'
    option type 'bridge'
    list ports 'eth0.1'
    list ports 'eth0.2'

config interface 'lan'
    option device 'br-lan'
    option proto 'dhcp'
    option ip6assign '60'
    option metric '20'

config interface 'wan'
    option device 'eth0.2'
    option proto 'dhcp'
    option metric '10'

config interface 'wwan'
    option device 'radio0'
    option metric '30'
    option proto 'none'

config interface 'wlan'
    option device 'radio0'
    option metric '40'
    option proto 'none'

Same problem. Not sure if this is the newer or an older method however.

• Why do you have metrics? (you only described one gateway to us via the ISP modem upstream, so I don't understand this)
  • Why is eth0.2 incorrectly configured for both LAN and WAN?
  • Why is radio0 incorrectly assigned to 2 interfaces?
  • What is wlan?

:spiral_notepad: These could be the issue. I'm curious, where are you getting these configs from?

(You have more networks specified than you noted - I understand you may not be that savyy, but likewise, we cannot guess why you're making such configurations unless you [clearly] explain. Hope this helps.)

Can you describe why you keep calling this an issue with a "missing gateway"?

Perhaps knowing that, we will be able to assist you better.

I'll try again, please try to follow the steps and provide the answers - we need to know in order to help you. Please try to focus:

You responded:

Please run tcpdump with -n and provide this answer - we need to know this IP in order to troubleshoot the tcpdump output. Thanks.

1 Like

I have already answered all of this. Because I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to configuring the network file. You are asking a lot of questions I cannot answer. I'm just looking on the net for ideas, configurations to try.

I'm not sure what you keep asking for, we need to know this IP, what IP?
The enagent was just something I called the device, a random name.

but likewise, we cannot guess why you're making such configurations unless you [clearly] explain.

That's why I said maybe it's time to delete this question. It keeps getting more and more complicated as we keep discussing. I just need to fix my network/wireless files. That's what seems to be the issue.

I keep calling it a missing gateway only because 'ICMP time exceeded in-transit' messages seem to indicate that one or both of the upstream devices become unreachable for a few seconds at a time.

Who are these 2 hosts?
What two hosts? I've shared all there is. The enagent is not a host, it's the router itself and just a hostname I threw on it some time back.

The -n option doesn't provide anything more than I've shared. What is it you expect to show? I can just give you that information.

I'm pretty focused but we seem to be all over the place. I think all I need to do is to fix the network and wireless files and you're asking a lot of things I cannot answer or have but you don't take them as valid.
I'm just playing with all this stuff and trying to learn while doing so :).

In terms of the pings, it's possible that this ICMP time exceeded message is a result of the routing or bridging configuration on my device.

The TTL value of a packet is decremented by each hop it traverses, and if it reaches zero, it is discarded, and the router generates an ICMP time exceeded message back to the source.

Not sure if this is my case but I'll try using a custom ping for a while and see what happens.

I was trying to help with that issue, but it seems you may not understand the questions.

Also, it seems you may not understand the tcpdump output, or why I'm asking you to run the command with the argument -n, as to see the IP for the device named "engaget". Then we'd know what IP received the exceeded in transit message you displayed.

I hope the best for your setup and hope you find out why your issue occurs.

This is what I was attempting to help you with, but you seem you might not understand the basis of the inquires asked - whose answers are needed to help you.

It should show the IP address of "engaget" instead of the name. Do you have that information avaliable?

I of course understand your questions and am answering them as best as I can.
Here is the output with -n. Rather than the name it's showing the IP but I'm not sure why this has been so important since I've provided that.

# tcpdump -n host 192.168.1.1 or host 192.168.0.1 or host 4.2.2.2
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 262144 bytes
21:16:09.833089 ARP, Reply 192.168.1.1 xx-xx xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, length 46
21:16:30.653529 IP 192.168.1.1 > 192.168.1.5: ICMP time exceeded in-transit, length 46
21:16:30.653712 IP 192.168.1.1 > 192.168.1.5: ICMP time exceeded in-transit, length 46
21:16:30.654066 IP 192.168.1.1 > 192.168.1.5: ICMP time exceeded in-transit, length 46
21:16:30.659615 IP 192.168.0.1 > 192.168.1.5: ICMP time exceeded in-transit, length 46
21:16:30.660573 IP 192.168.0.1 > 192.168.1.5: ICMP time exceeded in-transit, length 46
21:16:30.661170 IP 192.168.0.1 > 192.168.1.5: ICMP time exceeded in-transit, length 46

This is what I was attempting to help you with, but you seem you might not understand the
basis of the inquires asked - whose answers are needed to help you.

It simply doesn't always come across well in text. I am trying to provide what is needed.

This was helpful!

You never identified 192.168.1.5 as engaget and that it is the OpenWrt (you merely said you weren't sure and thay you'd disable something), my apologies if I missed that.

No worries.

Unfortunately this time you ran on a different interface, so I'll refrence the other one.

:bulb: think I found your problem!

You ran the first one and got responses from 192.168.0.1 :x: and 192.168.1.1 :white_check_mark:

Engaget's SRC IP is 192.168.1.5

The issue is: when running on br-lan, you shouldn't have seen packets from 192.168.0.1. It should be on another network/interface/VLAN.

Again I misunderstood your technical savvy, the proper wording is "you need to fix this".

You'll need to fix this as well.

One of these incorrect confogs are likely causing some routing loop.

I noticed again, you didn't take opportunity to answer the inquiries. I apologize if my questions are not coming across well in text too.

I also noticed; and you're not clearly answering a very important question - then it appears again.

Since we already noted that this syntax is invalid - where is your configuration syntax coming from?

Particularly, where are you being told to add the radio PHY into the network config?

Hi, I've not had the chance to work on this and I'm out of town for a couple of days, leaving shortly.
I absolutely will get back to this as soon as I return.

Thank you very much for your help.

Back and this is interesting.

The first network file is constantly showing the problem;

19:14:05.959620 IP 192.168.1.1 > 192.168.1.130: ICMP time exceeded in-transit, length 46
19:14:05.959802 IP 192.168.1.1 > 192.168.1.130: ICMP time exceeded in-transit, length 46
19:14:05.960158 IP 192.168.1.1 > 192.168.1.130: ICMP time exceeded in-transit, length 46
19:14:05.965875 IP 192.168.0.1 > 192.168.1.130: ICMP time exceeded in-transit, length 46
19:14:05.966827 IP 192.168.0.1 > 192.168.1.130: ICMP time exceeded in-transit, length 46
19:14:05.967299 IP 192.168.0.1 > 192.168.1.130: ICMP time exceeded in-transit, length 46

$ cat /etc/config/network

option device 'lo'
    option proto 'static'

config globals 'globals'
    option ula_prefix 'fd21:c667:49ef::/48'

config device
    option name 'br-lan'
    option type 'bridge'
    list ports 'eth0.1'
    list ports 'eth0.2'

config interface 'lan'
    option device 'br-lan'
    option proto 'dhcp'
    option ip6assign '60'
    option metric '20'

config interface 'wan'
    option device 'eth0.2'
    option proto 'dhcp'
    option metric '10'

config interface 'wwan'
    option device 'radio0'
    option metric '30'
    option proto 'none'

config interface 'wlan'
    option device 'radio0'
    option metric '40'
    option proto 'none'

However, this one, is not showing them at all since I've changed it slightly for testing. This is how it looks now.

# cat /etc/config/network

option device 'lo'
    option proto 'static'

config device
    option name 'br-lan'
    option type 'bridge'
    list ports 'eth0.1'
    list ports 'eth0.2'

config interface 'lan'
    option device 'br-lan'
    option proto 'dhcp'
    option ip6assign '60'
    option ifname 'br-lan wlan0'

config interface 'wan'
    option device 'eth0.2'
    option proto 'dhcp'
    option metric '10'
    option ifname 'wlan0'

config interface 'wwan'
    option device 'radio0'
    option proto 'none'
    option metric '30'

config interface 'wlan'
    option device 'radio0'
    option proto 'none'
    option metric '40'

While I understand that the files may not be correct, it is interesting that the slight differences are showing a very different result.

Both routers are connected to the same switch.

Not one single 'time exceeded' using the second version.

1 Like

Since you're not explaining why you're making these configs or why you're creating invalid ones (perhaps you're not aware that we've been telling you that or the wording of my questions is not conveying the confusion about them) - saying that you're not receiving Time Exceeded messages doesn't really edify the community. You also failed to say where you're getting this invalid syntax, especially to specify radio PHYs in the network config file.

Since it was also asked why you have metric settings, I surmise you know and don't wish to share?

Also, it's still not clear why you incorrectly added eth0.2 to both LAN and WAN.

Nonetheless, I'm glad you got it working.

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

I have explained all of what you just asked. I'm not sure why you are writing as if I'm trying to be less than helpful or appreciative if the help I'm getting.

It's working but as we said above, it's not the correct method of the files. This is what you told me.

I've told you over and over, I got this stuff from posts, articles, all kind of stuff I found on the net because I do not know how to build this network or wireless file.

I also got the files from the default build and thought I was starting to go in the correct direction but apparently I'm not.

What would you like me to do since I thought I've been providing and testing everything as you've asked me to but it seems I'm missing something.

OK, well no biggie. Feel free to post your URLs as reference - so others can see them too. I know it would likely end my confusion.

Again, glad it's working - that's the important part! :+1:

Just to be sure you have it, here's a link to docs in the official Wiki:

That cannot be the case, unless you're not using official OpenWrt firmware.

I know that learning can be frustrating - but likewise, we cannot guess you read an unofficial website and decide to make a config - so we're unsure. I indeed read the description of your use case - someone provided a link to the official Wiki for Dumb AP, but the configs you added aren't listed there, don't need metrics, etc.

If it's working, feel free to mark the topic as solved. :grinning:

EDIT: Just to be clear, you didn't test/correct anything I asked/suggested you fix - I noted the fixes in 2 posts.

Post No. 1 with questions/fix suggestions

Post No. 2 with questions/fix suggestions - where I actually said " 'you need to fix this' "

BTW - this is why it was advised to install/use the LuCI web GUI (i.e. so you don't have to guess syntax).

Your decision not to use LuCI implies you know/understand correct OpenWrt syntax, but then you subsequently note here that you do not.

That's somewhat confusing.

1 Like

I'm sorry, I am overwhelmed with things in life while trying to understand this at the same time. I'll review again and try to provide the things I didn't provide.