VLAN Questions for the Newest of Newbs (WRT3200ACM)

Okay, so, I thought it would be a wise idea to delve into VLANs with zero experience (cool, right?)

After locking myself out of LuCI twice, I decided it was probably best seek the wisdom of the grizzled veterans at the OpenWrt forums. Go easy on me. I'm doing this all offline for the moment, because I don't want to cause chaos on my network. I'm running OpenWrt 22.03.2 on the Linksys WRT3200ACM. I have 4 network switches, all of them being the Netgear GS308E. Switch 1 and 2 are connected to LAN1 and LAN2 respectively, but switch 3 and 4 have to be connected to Switch 2 for physical constraints when it comes to wiring.

All of the videos I see online regarding VLAN seem to cover version 21 or 20. Some parts of the GUI have been moved or are no longer there. Bridging, VLAN filtering, new devices, new interfaces...It's all so confusing.

Here's what I want to do.

The Linksys router has 5 ports. 1 WAN and 1, 2, 3, 4 LAN

I want LAN1 to trunk (is that the right term? should I be proud?) data from VLANs 10, 20, 30, and 40. I should probably start with a single VLAN and not get ahead of myself, but I digress.

I want LAN2 to also carry those same VLAN IDs, but for another switch.

I want LAN3 to be dedicated to a PoE switch (Netgear GC110P) that manages my security cameras. I'd like my surveillance stuff to be on VLAN 10. I want devices on LAN1 and LAN2 to be able to view and manage those cameras via web interface, but not for those cameras or anything on the PoE switch to do the reverse.

I want LAN4 to be for my Netgear AX5400, functioning as a Wi-Fi AP. Ideally, I wish my Linksys router could handle it all, but it's only Wi-Fi 5 capable. I also want all those delicious VLANs on this wireless network, too.

So, that was a handful. I'm totally out of my depth, here. Still, maybe when we all become VLAN buddies, we can bond over this experience.

Thanks for reading.

As a start I would recommend not using the version you are on due to a bug with the kernel causing the switch to behave as a hub, recommend moving to master snapshot.

Maybe:

╔═════╦═════════╦═════════╦═════════╦═════════╗
║ VID ║   LAN1  ║   LAN2  ║   LAN3  ║   LAN4  ║
║     ║ (port3) ║ (port2) ║ (port1) ║ (port0) ║
╠═════╬═════════╬═════════╬═════════╬═════════╣
║ 1   ║    t*   ║    t*   ║    t    ║    t*   ║
║ 10  ║    t    ║    t    ║    t*   ║    u    ║
║ 20  ║    t    ║    t    ║         ║    u    ║
║ 30  ║    t    ║    t    ║         ║    u    ║
║ 40  ║    t    ║    t    ║         ║    u    ║
╚═════╩═════════╩═════════╩═════════╩═════════╝
1 Like

Hi there! Thanks for the reply.

Is this the snapshot you're referring to?

Would I be putting those on br-lan, or creating a new bridge? Here's what I've got so far.

Also, my bad on the LAN1, LAN2, etc. I forgot that the ports are named differently on the WRT3200ACM page. By LAN1, I mean port 1 on the router. I guess that would be... sw.port 0? LAN 4? LAN 3?

You're on a newer network architecture called DSA. The default LAN bridge interface is br-lan. Once you start tagging it it would turn to br-lan.1 e.g.

Notation for single ports is e.g. lan1:u* for lan1 port in the default untagged VLAN, lan2:t for lan2 tagged in a VLAN.

This script should be enough to set up a basic tagged LAN and expose the VLAN entries in LuCI. From there you should be able to set it up through LuCI.

So to make Port 1 cover VLANs 1, 10, 20, 30, and 40, I would need to add a device configuration, call it br-lan1 or 2 or etc. and then add those VLAN tags?

If you need just a single port to be tagged every time, you can suffice with defining it as an 802.1q type device. If that same port is still part of the default VLAN, remember to mark it as such there (:u*).

The script I linked to will both set up tagged VLANs and single port 802.1q VLANs, but you still need to set the untagged default manually after that.

After some trial and error, I think I got it figured out!

1 Like