VLAN on a *XW* NanoStation M2 internal switch

So I have about 20 XM NanoStations (Loco's, Bullets) and I most of them with OpenWRT to run 3 SSID on 3 VLANS. Recently I got a single XW NanoStation.

I figured it would be easy, as it already has 64MB so I do not need to upgrade memory.

One difference (other then memory) between XM and XW is the latter has a internal switch, whereas the former has two actual PHY to the CPU

Try what I do, I am unable to define additional VLANS to the XW switch. I have done it before on TP-Links, so I (think I) know how it works normally. I can add the VLAN (tried both low ID 3 and intended ID 180), and that works still, But as soon as I put the ports in "untagged" for the new VLAN , the device looses all connection and I have to hard-reset.

Tried it without linking it to the CPU too, so it is only switch traffic, still I loose connection
Went back to OpenWRT19 both ATH79 and the older AR71 drivers.

So is there anyone running VLAN's on NanoStations, specifically the XW NanoStation?

It's still standard swconfig with the limit of 16 on the vlan number (combine option vlan with option vid to tag packets with higher numbers).

For example

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '4'
        option vid '20'
        option ports '1 5t 0t'

Port 5 is the Main port, port 1 is the Secondary port, and port 0 is the CPU eth0.

Have a way to log in exclusively by wifi so you don't lose contact while configuring the Ethernet.

1 Like

Well, I did try lower then 32 and 16. Not work.
I know some chips have that limitation, but I surely hope that is not the reason here, I need 180 and 160.

Anyway...(slapping my forehead)... connecting via WiFi is something I should have thought about. And here I am already opening the device for a serial connection... Thanks

Well, I do not know what I did wrong before, but it is simply working now, regardless whether I use Luci or SSH to make the changes, but either connected via WiFi.

Edit: Still some issues, also check this post

I somewhat suspect somehow fluke timing and auto-rollback got in the way when connecting via ethernet, and auto-rollback failed somehow. Via WiFi it all works, and I cannot get bothered to get to the bottom of it, spend enough time already.

Still stupid I did not think of WiFi. I usually do WiFi last, as I like Ethernet better for its stability..... that habit got myself into tunnelview there. Thanks again for the hint.

config switch
        option name 'switch0'
        option reset '1'
        option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '1'
        option ports '0t 5 1'
        option vid '1'
        option description 'CPU to LAN'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '2'
        option ports '0t'
        option vid '2'
        option description 'CPU to WAN unused'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '3'
        option vid '$$$'
        option description 'CampingNet'
        option ports '0t 5t 1t'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '4'
        option ports '0t 5t 1t'
        option vid '$$$'
        option description 'Devices'