Very slow WiFi for GB connection

Older iPhone?
iPhone 5 only supports wifi 4 which would explain your speed of 100mbps- see here: https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html#wifi4

Laptop speed would be explained if it has a 1x1 wireless card using 802.11g wireless. Explanation of PHY: https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html#PHY

iPhone 10max - used to get 600mb
2009 laptop Was getting way more than 10mb before openwrt..

Speedtest / fast.com (focused on bandwidth) should get about 400mbps with 5ghz, 80mhz wide channel on your iphone 2x2 client (in a medium sized room). For 2.4ghz 20mhz wide channel (2009, wireless g / wifi 3?) you should expect mid 20’s. On your iphone you’ll get wireless speed on 2.4ghz of up to 100-150mbps under ideal conditions (I would forget the 2.4ghz network with your iphone and strictly use 5ghz)

Dslreports is latency focused (doesn’t provide the best bandwidth measure due to limited servers) and requires some tweaking / repeat testing.

Post some of your test results. Here is a random mid morning 5ghz iphone measurement:

iPhone 10max
WiFi 5ghz
Tested 5 times
I used to get 500-600 on 5ghz

2.4 tested 5 times (closest server for both)

I’m using hynman’s latest master build with the CT drivers (default).

Only difference I’m seeing that will make a difference for wifi is selecting a country code & selecting a manual transmission power.

root@OpenWrt:~# uname -a
Linux OpenWrt 5.4.50 #0 SMP Thu Jul 9 11:01:20 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/config/wireless

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option channel '36'
        option hwmode '11a'
        option path 'soc/1b500000.pci/pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0'
        option htmode 'VHT80'
        option txpower '22'
        option legacy_rates '0'
        option country 'US'
        option beacon_int '101'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
        option device 'radio0'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ft_over_ds '1'
        option ssid ''
        option ft_psk_generate_local '1'
        option key ''
        option ieee80211r '1'
        option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
        option ieee80211k '1'
        option bss_transition '1'
        option ieee80211v '1'

Beyond wifi config multiple people tweak with CPU parameters depending on their use. A simple way to get max performance is to set the CPU to the max frequency (1.7ghz) if your priority is max speed (see if this helps, just copy paste the whole blob in, to reverse it you can restart your router or replace the performance with ondemand in the command to revert to default).

echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor; echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy1/scaling_governor

With default openwrt you don’t have access to the two NSS CPUs like proprietary OEM drivers do. To get OEM-like speeds you need these additional CPUs. There is a ton work on the drivers and several versions of drivers are available to advanced users that want to compile their own firmware:

Yea not sure what to do..
My main objective is to play ps4 wired with minimal lag / best latency. For some reason it is bad even wired from router in port 1 and has a moderate 2 not open connection. Of course works amazing from modem. I can deal with 170mb WiFi but I pay for 1g. Should I get another router? Do you think the arris 3.1 8200 is causing issues? All the snr and power levels are perfect according to xfinity and arris.

I’d check your modem and signal quality first.

1. tighten / double check all connections (The 8200 has two eth ports if I remember right)

2. Connect your wired computer directly to your modem and run testing from your side (good modem stress test, even though you don’t have a puma6 chipset):

http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6

1. I’d log in to the modem and see if all the signal levels look good.

https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB8200-Web-Manager-Access

1. call your isp and have them troubleshoot from their side to see if your modem is working well.

2. see what your test results look like directly connected to the modem (should be whatever the max wired speed is of your laptop nic).

If the modem & signal levels check out - something is up with the router or router config.

Already did modem check .. all good and good from xfinity..

Connected old 2009 computer to modem
Got 393 down 53 up

Puma 6 test:
Said this doesn’t look too good lol
Lots of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in 100-149ms and 64ms

That is pretty lousy speed straight from the modem. Looks like something is up with the modem.

Talked to arris and xfinity
The upload light on the modem isn’t blue like the download.. even though I get good upload speeds at what I pay for.. SNR and power levels are great According to arris
I asked xfinity to remove boot files and reactivate them.. they did all the tests they said they could.. having a tech come out to check outside??

1 Like

Good to get a tech there to manually check signals, splitters, wires, and troubleshoot.

I had similar low performance after upgrading my internet speed last year. Found my modem wasn’t working well (they all go out eventually) and upgraded to a netgear cm1000. :sunglasses:

They were out here about a month ago
Guy was getting 900 from my modem
And I got 650 on WiFi
Now I’m only getting 300 wired to modem

That sucks. Let us know what you figure out.

1 Like

I do not think these are compatible. Change piece_of_cake.qos to any of the simple ones (experiment).

This router is not powerful enough to shape in both directions, so change this to 0 to not shape the downloads.

Some more changes I would suggest are below, but do not expect miracles. I am getting over 340Mbps on 5GHz wireless (the max link speed), but both cores are over 80% utilized. That is the speed in either direction; it tops out at ~400Mbps combined.

5GHz radio on CPU1 while eth0/1 & 2GHz on CPU0

# wifi0 - 5GHz
  echo 2 > /proc/irq/28/smp_affinity
  # wifi1 - 2GHz
  echo 1 > /proc/irq/29/smp_affinity
  # eth0 - WAN
  echo 1 > /proc/irq/31/smp_affinity
  # eth1 - LAN
  echo 1 > /proc/irq/32/smp_affinity

Process soft interrupts on all cores

find /sys/devices/platform/ -name "*ps_cpus" | while read f; do echo 3 > $f; done

Increase the min frequency as per https://source.codeaurora.org/quic/qsdk/oss/system/openwrt/tree/target/linux/ipq806x/base-files/etc/init.d/powerctl?h=NHSS.QSDK.6.1.r1

echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
1 Like

BTW, you might get more replies if you add R7800 to the subject: this is a popular router with a lot of users.

1 Like

Thanks! it doesnt let me change anything? guess because im new?

Maybe a moderator finds this thread a changes it, but in the meantime you can search for r7800 performance in this forum.

Xfinity had 750 coaxial behind modem and 700 behind router Ethernet

WiFi speeds In the mid 300s with iPhone 10max

He removed a splitter from outside

1 Like

Much better! Enjoy. Let us know if you have any additional questions.