I get extreme spikes in latency on this router and cannot figure out what to configure. When I ping 18.104.22.168 from my laptop i usually get 7ms ping but there are spikes every few seconds to ~100ms. This is when the network is absolutely idle, no downloads whatsoever. Here are some sample tests:
The pings are done every 250ms:
64 bytes from 22.214.171.124: icmp_seq=11718 ttl=120 time=7.23 ms 64 bytes from 126.96.36.199: icmp_seq=11719 ttl=120 time=7.26 ms 64 bytes from 188.8.131.52: icmp_seq=11720 ttl=120 time=7.18 ms 64 bytes from 184.108.40.206: icmp_seq=11721 ttl=120 time=14.9 ms 64 bytes from 220.127.116.11: icmp_seq=11722 ttl=120 time=14.4 ms 64 bytes from 18.104.22.168: icmp_seq=11723 ttl=120 time=110 ms 64 bytes from 22.214.171.124: icmp_seq=11724 ttl=120 time=117 ms 64 bytes from 126.96.36.199: icmp_seq=11725 ttl=120 time=9.63 ms 64 bytes from 188.8.131.52: icmp_seq=11726 ttl=120 time=67.7 ms 64 bytes from 184.108.40.206: icmp_seq=11727 ttl=120 time=121 ms 64 bytes from 220.127.116.11: icmp_seq=11728 ttl=120 time=36.5 ms 64 bytes from 18.104.22.168: icmp_seq=11729 ttl=120 time=7.21 ms 64 bytes from 22.214.171.124: icmp_seq=11730 ttl=120 time=7.69 ms
The test looks similarly on my phone.
The things I tried to fix this that I found somewhere on the web that seemed to help others (i'm only optimizing 5Ghz):
- Changing channels 36, 40, 44, 48
- Changing channel width between 40/80
- Changed distance optimization to 150m
- Changed DTIM interval to 1
- Played around with SQM on wan/wan6 interface: I used different download/upload values (including 0), different per packet bytes for Ethernet with overhead (tried 18, 22, 44), and many different algorithm combinations including the default and cake+piece of cake.
- I added the bursting and ff options in /etc/config/wireless
Nothing helped even a bit. The only things I noticed are that using ff and busting causes the lags to come more often and using SQM drastically reduces my download speeds (from around 220 to 50-90 depending on settings).
Whats wrong here? Do you have any suggestions?