VDSL-SuperVectoring and TD-W8970B

Hi@all,

my provider (easybell (Telekom reseller)) recently switched from an old VDSL2 DSL-AccessMultiplexer (50/10 Mbit/s) to the brand new ADSL SuperVectoring boards that enables 250/40Mbit/s.
Before the change my TP-Link TD-W8970B connected just fine with always the maximum booked speed of 50/10Mbit/s.
However after the change the maximum sync that is possible is now 20/1.5Mbit/s.
I read a lot about this problem and it seems to be a default fall back profile for 30a enabled line cards. So DSL modems that don't support vectoring will be downgraded to this profile to prevent interference with all the other vectoring enabled modems that are connected to the same cable harness.

I'm awear that the default firmware of the TD-W8970B that comes with the stock LEDE doesn't support VDSL Vectoring aka G.993.5. So I tried to get one of these here working: https://xdarklight.github.io/lantiq-xdsl-firmware-info/
I tried the Speedport and the FritzBox based dsl firmware blobs but none of these enabled the Vetoring functionality even though they were listed as "incl. vectoring support".

Does somebody tested this in germany on a Telekom DSL-AccessMultiplexer?
Maybe I just had bad luck. Which blob shall I use?

maybe this helps...
https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2018-September/014094.html

i had the same problem and opened a ticket with the isp, then a support-guy measured the line and switch me to another port. works for now with the vmg1312

The technician is ordered for Friday. So maybe this will help. I already tried the Speedport W921V firmware however the 1.39 isn't available for download anymore. I used the 1.44.
Could you send me your blob so I could try this one?

Can't answer for use in Germany, but the DSL firmware blob from the Netgear DM200 v1.0.0.52 OEM firmware (linked from the xdarklight info) works with G993.5 connections here in Australia (profile 17a, Annex A - i.e. over POTS - but with Annex B band plans and tone sets).

Is there a way to see the capabilities of the currently running firmware?

I already tried the DM200 firmware for Annex B which is used here in Germany. Unfortunately it still doesn't work. The technician who was here today could connect via G.993.5 (Vectoring). But my TP-Link still can't :frowning:

Post your /etc/config/network, you might have something else set wrong.

I assume you mean the tones?

config atm-bridge 'atm'
        option vpi '1'
        option vci '32'
        option encaps 'llc'
        option payload 'bridged'

config dsl 'dsl'
        option tone 'bv'
        option annex 'b'
        option xfer_mode 'ptm'

Yes. I have tone 'av' and annex 'a' set on mine since I'm running 5.7.9.5.1.7-5.7.3.F.0.1 (xcpe_579517_573F01.bin) which is an Annex-A firmware. However, I just saw that my successfully connected 100 profiled out of 175 possible mbit line is still G.992.3, not G.993.5, so my opinion may not be worth much anyway. :confused: