Using router as extender using WAN

Ok I reset it and continuing from there.

When disabling DHCP, do you mean Interfaces -> LAN -> DHCP Server -> Ignore interface?

1 Like

Yep, that's the web GUI way to do it. BTW, that's Step 8 in the Wiki instructions for how to use the web GUI.

:warning: Please be advised, if your Macbook doesn't have a static IP (e.g. 192.168.1.3), it may loose connection mid process because you're turning off the DHCP server giving it an address until you plug up the main router to start giving them again!

I'm in the same area but in General Settings this time. Is the IPv4 the one you want me to change? I tried setting it to 192.168.1.1 but it says "The gateway address must not be a local IP address." And for the DNS, do you want me to go to Adv. Settings and put in the same IP for "Use custom DNS servers"

@keina - I really advise you look at the Wiki on how to configure a device. I thought this was covered. See: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/base-system/basic-networking

Then I would advise you not set the improper gateway or IP - and set them as noted. BTW, saying yes to everything that's already in a Wiki is kinda confusing.

Imma just screenshot, because I don't understand the difficulty/error:

screen227
screen228

If there's an issue with the Wikis, can you note the Step you're having an issue with, thanks.

:spiral_notepad: I also hope you heeded the warning about the Macbook and connectivity to 192.168.1.2 after hitting Apply - before connecting the main router.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, it looks the exact same as your screenshot.

And yes, I did turn on static IP for my mac.

You may need to apply the settings for the IPv4 address change first, then change the gateway.

1 Like

Unless the OP's not editing LAN (and actually editing WAN - the deleted post suggested that might be)...I tested that.

Ok so when I apply, do I have to switch my router IP to 192.168.1.99 before reconnecting?

I only have LAN, WAN, and WAN6 interfaces and I can confirm that I'm trying to change LAN,

1 Like

You should only be touching the OpenWrt's LAN setting.

Sorry I meant for my mac. The current router IP ends in .1 and I assume I'm gonna need the .99 port in order to connect.

screen229

Work's here.

Yes, see:

192.168.1.99 - since you choose to use that

(You could also try to plug in the main router to LAN within 90 seconds so the Macbook gets a lease there after Applying - I'm just trying to lower the complexity for a n00b.)

I got almost everything to work. I followed all the steps here and set my network to lan. But for some reason, the band isn't showing up on my phone?

Edit: this is for 5ghz if that helps.