Using OpenWrt - L2TP client to L2TP Server on GL-MT3000

I have a GL-MT3000 router, i installed the following
OpenWrt 23.05.2 r23630-842932a63d / LuCI openwrt-23.05 branch git-23.306.39416-c86c256
I am trying to accomplish the following..
I travel with my MT3000
and have a L2TP server created at home using my Ubiquiti Security Gateway. and it works perfect.
what i want to do is, when i get to a hotel, connect to my MT3000 wireless through the hotel ,and establish a L2TP tunnel back home
this allows me to watch my cable tv shows as IF I WAS HOME!
can someone please help me setup Openwrt L2TP Client on my MT3000 to connect back to my home router, please
thanks

Install the xl2tpd package and reboot the device.

opkg update; opkg install xl2tpd; reboot

Use LuCI to create the l2tp client interface.

1 Like

Ohh very nice!! you rock!! that seems to be super easy!
i do have one question, i am using a username/PW and a PSK secret
i do not see the option for a secret key password, just username and pw?
am i missing something

Then it's L2TP/IPsec and it won't be that easy.

This may help:

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/openwrt-l2tp-psk-vpn-to-ubiquiti-usg/85872

Please use a VPN solution that provides actual security instead, L2TP does not (at all).

These days the easiest approach would be setting up wireguard, but OpenVPN or IPsec/ IKEv2 (strongswan) would be popular alternatives as well.

1 Like

Yes, WireGuard would be a perfect solution, however not all Ubiquiti devices support it and StrongSwan comes as default.

Hey All,
Ok, so i decided to do away with using the VPN server on my Ubiquiti USG, and just install a Wireguard VPN setup on a RaspberryPi
I got everything working and i now have my GL-MT3000 using wireguard to vpn to my home via the rasperrypi

thanks all! for the guidance, and for steering me in this direction, I was "Pidgeon holeing" myself, into my USG, but in the end, i was better off ust walking away and using a Specific VPN solution, for the purpose..