Using OpenWrt as dumb ap on x86 help for config

Impossible to connect to my wifi through an ubuntu 22.04 with nick's driver....(but and I could in openwrt)....so it is almost certainly a driver issue...

I found this option in ubuntu I did not know about...creating a hotspot

it's weird to this all these things working...but no AP...

Next time I'll try to make things work on a VM and only after that I'll try things in openwrt.

thank you all for the time you spent on a stup.d shitty driver/hardaware rtl8812bu :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: realtek

I'll keep trying other drivers... and if somebody find a way to make it work... one day who knows... I hope he'll share with the community :slight_smile:

Thx again, see you :wink:

Just wanted to return to this.... no, your use-case and equipment here don't disqualify you. That wasn't the intention behind my previous comments. They were, however, targeted towards establishing the fact that x86 based wifi APs just aren't terribly practical.

And this is part of the reason... the drivers for USB and PCI based wifi devices are fine in sta mode, but they can be tricky in AP mode -- some don't support it at all, others don't support it well. Some are indeed well supported but have lackluster performance with respect to actual wifi usage due to the radio and antenna design.

As has been pointed out, any basic AP or all-in-one wifi router device will (still) be significantly advantaged with the sole exception of the fact that you currently have that x86 hardware lying around. Given the difficulty you've had getting this working as desired, it comes down to the usual equation of time+effort (+learning and fun, if you like the challenge) vs money to get to the end goal.

All that said, honestly, I'm not judging, nor am I saying you shouldn't be trying (and certianly not saying you shouldn't get help). But I do still maintain my original position that x86 is not a good AP platform.

…and in many cases these (OpenWrt compatible) concurrent dual-band plastic wireless-APs will be even cheaper than a single (you need two, to cover 2.4- and 5 GHz) 5 GHz/ 802.11ac USB WLAN card (e.g. D-Link DAP-X1860 special sales, 15 EUR new from the store) - apart from being faster (better antennas) and less/ no fuss.

I don't feel disqualified, realtek/DLlink are :). The whole idea was to use on the shelf hardware... not buy some, even used... if I want to buy something I'll go directly for a mesh I think like Asus ET12 or even wifi7 when it will be out, however I will still try to make this thing work, even if I have to wait until the next kernel...or openWRT 26 :smiley:

You will never convince me to buy an old router or old ap, an old pc can do that and even more, PC ROCKKKKS.... ok and realtek 8812bu sucks :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thank you for the help, and one day I'll be back to ask for more help (with the same hardware of course :smiley: )