Using one router for two separate networks for Sonos

Intro to set context: I'm a newbie. I have a technical background but no knowledge or vocabulary for networking.

I'm trying to use one router to create two separate wi-fi networks. A guest network will not work and both networks have to have 2.4ghz.

What I'm trying to do: use one router for two networks, each of which has its own Sonos attached. Sonos will not work with a guest network nor with 5ghz. My current solution is to plug a second router into the first router.

I've installed OpenWrt on a Linksys wrt1900ac. I thought I could use vlans to set up two separate networks but I cannot figure out how to set them up. Can you help?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

@mh32, welcome to the community!

FYI, this poster has a very similar issue:

Not sure what this means in context. If you don't want a guest network, then just place all devices on the same network, this is configured in OpenWrt WiFi devices by default.

• Why?
  • Are you trying to bridge the LAN and [not-guest] LAN?

BTW, hopefully you didn't create a second forum account...there's no need (as you can see, people have viewed the first posting). I also notice that you and the other poster even have the same router...coincidence...

:thinking:

I noticed that multicast isn't mentioned here...which makes me think you intend to bridge 2 VLAN/physical LANs instead of leaving them as one (as default)...that makes me wonder why...

The other poster is not me. :slight_smile: We are trying to solve a different problem.

I actually want to have two different networks with two different Sonos, completely independently. I do not want the people on Network1 to be able to control Sonos2 and I don't want the people on Network2 to be able to control Sonos1. (This is my house and an airbnb unit. I don't want the guests to change the music in my house and I don't want to change their music.)

Sonos will not work on a guest network. It also will only work on 2.4ghz. That's not something I can change.

• Can you clarify what this means, in your context?
  • Basically, what do you think a "guest network" is or consists of - explain what features will not work with the Sonos.

All you have to do is allow LAN1 to reach IP 192.168.x.x and vice versa for LAN2 to reach 192.168.y.y in the firewall.

You cannot connect a Sonos to a guest network. By guest network, I mean the guest network feature that is provided on most routers.

I don't think I can post a link yet but if you search "connect Sonos to guest network", you will see a lot of posts about it. https://en.community.sonos.com/components-228996/how-to-connecting-sonos-through-guest-wifi-6740499

How does that create two networks?

Stormy

No clue what that means, no such thing on OpenWrt...

The reason I ask is because you clearly mention a "owner network" and an "AirBnB customer network" ...in OpenWrt, Wireless networks are the same (there's nothing special with a "guest network" excapt it's not connected to LAN1), but I assume the AirBnB are for your guests - a LAN2, correct?

Are you trolling...?

This is why I'm being very clear you need 2 networks, but you keep saying it "cannot be a guest network."

See:

You then add Wireless SSID to the new network - you don't have to name it "guest."

All routers have guest networks in their standard setup. Sonos will not connect to these standard guest networks. I believe it has something to do with the way they are configured to not allow access to the regular, "non guest" network.

I definitely need two networks. But I need them both to be fully functional networks. And I need them both to be 2.4ghz networks. In the gui that comes with OpenWRT, I cannot figure out how to add a second 2.4ghz network.

I am not trolling. First you accuse me of creating two accounts and then you accuse me of trolling. I appreciate that you are trying to help a new member but that is very insulting.

Again, no such thing in OpenWrt.

So you just make the firewall rules to permit the traffic as I noted above. You obviously do this after you create the second network - linked above. Again, you do not have to name the second network "guest."

I likewise am trying to help and make sure that others are not confused by my responses, or lack of understanding "not a guest" multiple times - when you clearly stated you have AirBnB guests you want on another- separated network. Apologies - I hope the information helps. Please do not take any insults - much appreciated.

I wanted to be sure I provided the correct information, the first time. Since that information includes the word "guest," I didn't want you to think I was insulting you because of that too.

:smiley:

Thank you! I will try that.

1 Like

Oh, BTW, if you need multicast between networks, that's not covered, as the other poster noted.

That's why I mented it above. Hope that helps

I’m not sure if you’ve made any progress here, but just to add a bit of info and clarification and to describe what I think you will want to achieve in the end, here is what I can offer:

There is no standard definition of a guest network in terms of the specific implementation details. The title of “guest” does not, in itself, preclude normal functioning of the Sonos.

The Sonos requires an internet connection and a non-client-isolated WiFi network. Any network that has WiFi client isolation enabled will likely break the Sonos functionality.

In your specific case, you said you want two independent networks with non-overlapping Sonos systems. To do this, you’ll want to set up 2 VLANs on your router that are isolated from each other. Each vlan will have its own SSID (WiFi network name), but will not isolate the clients on the respective networks. Both VLANs will have firewall rules setup that allow access to the internet and prohibit inter-vlan connections. You’ll probably also want to limit the access to the router itself from the secondary network (so that your guests can not alter the config of the router) - reject all router bound connections except for DHCP and dns.

That should be all you need and everything should work as expected - 2 networks isolated from each other, both with unrestricted connectivity between devices on the same respective network, and both able to access the internet.

Does this match what you are trying to do? And do you have specific questions about how to implement this configuration?

1 Like