Using mwan3 with second internet connection on LAN client

I am using 2 internet connections. A slow one (cable) with low latency (< 10 ms) and a fast one (LTE) with high bandwidth, but high latency. So my goal is to send particular traffic through cable some other through LTE. Connecting the LTE-USB-modem to the OpenWRT-router creates an eth3 interface which I put into the wan firewall zone and mwan3 works great with it.
Unfortunately the LTE signal is very poor near the router. So I connected the LTE-USB-router to a wired (LAN) raspberry pi on the top floor. This created an interface eth1 on the raspberry. The structure is almost like shown here.
Setting the default route on the raspberry to eth1 and creating a static default route to the raspberry on the OpenWRT leads all outgoing traffic through the raspberry. But actually I want to control the traffic with mwan3.

Is there any way to "mirror" the wan-interface on the client into an interface in the OpenWRT-router?

You can control the traffic with mwan3, the way you have it there. You don't actually need the extra static route, just use the gateway option on the interface you have for the interface which goes to the RPi.

Thank you.
Currently on the router 2 interfaces are defined. One is eth0.2 connected to the cable modem and one is eth0.1 connected to the LAN bridge. The RPi is connected to the lan (wired) and does not have its own interface on the router.

So I guess setting or changing the gateway in one of these two interfaces is not what you are proposing, right?

It would be best if you connected the RPi on a separate interface, for example eth0.3
Let's see if that is possible.
Please run the following commands (copy-paste the whole block) and paste the output here, using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have

ubus call system board; \
uci export network; uci export firewall; \
head -n -0 /etc/firewall.user; \

@trendy: Which information is important for you from the exported settings?

Connecting the RPi to a separate lan-port on OpenWRT is actually not possible. There is one lan-wire (fiber) from base to top-floor, where many devices and the RPi are connected to a switch.

I made some attempts creating a virtual interface with macvlan. But since I have very poor knowledge here, it was not successful.

All of it. I don't know which router is that, what version it runs, what capabilities the switch has.

There is an easy solution to use a managed switch there and pass 2 vlans over the single wire, one for lan another for wan. In case the current switch isn't managed, the tl-sg105e costs about 20€.

Luckily I have a managed switch. With it, it actually worked quite easily.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.