Is there anything special that I need to do for the adblock package to do it's thing?
I've downloaded the following: luci-app-adblock, adblock, and wget. I've restarted the service and it's updated the hosts. And I personally still get ads.
What is your setup like where you have successfully blocked ads?
So, i bought a raspberry pi mainly for use as a pi-hole. I have added the network address to the DNS server section in the LAN Interface and wireless sections. I personally still get ads.
Would you please attempt to help me out, please?
Also, installing the luci-app-privoxy and privoxy packages don't seem to be functioning properly. I have tried to change the listen address to router IP and either a] got a read only error when trying to save or b] i am just having issues with this stuff.
I used dd-wrt and wanted to try something new. Anyway, with dd-wrt, I had to toggle privoxy to on and it worked. With LEDE/Open-Wrt it just doesn't work for me.
Please, for the love of God, Would you lend me a hand?
Adblock works by blocking known ad-servers via DNS overrides, its success rate directly depends on the quality (quantity and topicality) of the provided blocklists and it can never be as good as content aware filter rules (but it's nevertheless a great start). Just be aware that pure DNS based blocking, as in the case with adblock, can never be complete, given the number and aggressiveness of the advertising agencies around the world (all it takes to cirumvent the known blocklists is adding another domain name to the mix, until someone identifies this new domain and adds it to one of your configured blocklists - and for you to update it). Another issue is the mere size of the given blocklists, even in the default configuration, which requires quite some performance from your router (e.g. don't even start with a router up to 32 MB RAM, you need more than that to work reliably and even CPU performance matters, considering how long postprocessing (basically sort -u) may take after updating the blocklists after an ifup event - and dnsmasq also needs some processing power/ RAM with multiple tens of thousands of blocklist entries for each and every DNS request. Therefore just going ahead and blindly enabling all pre-configured blocklists doesn't really work nicely either, unless you have very beefy hardware to run it.
not only OS do cache DNS replies also browsers (at least firefox) doing this. Can get quite annoying.
I'd like to use this feature for blocking unwanted hosts eg microsoft telemetry.
For adblocking my users already get uBlock Origin and uMatrix (for Websockets and fine granular blocking) and they're nearly ad-free.
I overwrited the hosts file with that available on someonewhocares.org and It works fine. I didn't noticed any lag surfing the web.
It allow to block advertising on other devices on which It's not available others adblocker and I think It's the lightest solution for the CPU.