Users needed to test Wi-Fi stability on Linksys WRT3200ACM & WRT32X on OpenWrt 21.02

Ignore, just a nicety for those that do not use the GUI (me).

I haven't submitted this as a bug as I could very easily have this configured incorrectly or overly complex. Drawing it out on paper, I think I could probably do this without the need for VLANs at all since "Guest" and "LAN" are isolated on their own ports and subnets.

EDIT - Unfortunately, at another location I have another WRT32X which does need multiple VLANs on the same port and it has the same issue. It's configuration files are more complex, so I thought the one I posted here would be an easier case for highlighting the issue.

I find it odd that the first frame makes it through properly. I haven't been able to determine what reliably resets this occurrence. That may possibly point to the culprit.

well, i can't believe that this device is just sleeping for me now! no wireless and no switch is at the top now.

I posted a bug report here.

After a last attempt to upgrade to OpenWRT 22 (I build from source always up to the latest updates), I have had to downgrade to OpenWRT which is the last stable version running both WiFi and routing flawlessly.

Given the mess the developers have done with this router, and given that this Linksys chipset is still quite popular, is there anything we could do to lobby the developers to release security patches for OpenWRT 19?

I don't think its reasonable to expect volunteer devs to support long term old software (I run the latest snapshot on my WRT320 BRW)

For people not following the bug report, some progress on finding the bugs behind this issue has been made there.

2 Likes

After a few days of running 22.03.2 r19803-9a599fee93

I get phy0: MACREG_REG_INT_CODE: 0x0000 and instant disasscoiation whenever a device tries to connect to a non DFS 5ghz channel. Worked fine before no changes.

Restarting the 5ghz network doesn't resolve the issue.

2.4 ghz radios work fine.

I do not think it is ethical to force people to discard perfectly good hardware because of no software support. I despise all big technology producers because of the forced obsoletion they impose on perfectly good hardware, either these be mobile phones or computers or routers, etc.

OpenWRT is a project that gives new and better life to perfectly good hardware that otherwise would end up in landfills or the sea. And for this reason I am a strong supporter.

I would not want the OpenWRT community to be too influenced by selfish corporate practices that force hardware obsoletion to make more money, consequently losing sight of one of the most important benefits of Open Software.

Linksys WRT series are the best feature rich routers still available. They have even given the name to Open"WRT". It would be a shame to drop support for them.

7 Likes

No software support????? I already told you i run a snapshot on my WRT320 - and it works perfectly, for which i am totally grateful to the developers.

He's talking about the idea of them dropping support and the present issues not getting fixed. It's true that these issues don't affect everyone.

There is no idea of them dropping support, the topic has not been broached. The only thing that has been dropped is upstream support of mwlwifi, not much anyone can do about that issue. It is abandonware by NXP, nothing to do with OpenWrt.

what does this mean, and what are the current issues not being fixed. Other than the VLAN issue above, which seems to have been identified, although resolution seems known a patch has not been submitted (looks to be trivial for those impacted).
I run master and it runs just fine. Radios turned off and a couple of APs hanging off the device.

1 Like

I thought it'd been discussed in this thread (not claiming main devs said it), but maybe it was in a different thread.

Support isn't dropped. WRT series routers works great with kernel 5.15. I'm currently running a snapshot built with 5.15.105 and ran benchmarks with SQM Cake, Samba 4.18, Adblock, and general routing throughput is the best this router has ever run. Short of getting multi-CPU DSA support which probably will never happen there isn't anywhere else to go with such dated hardware. I really don't think there is a better router choice (other than ipq806x NSS builds) unless you move to something much faster like a NanoPi R4S + U6-Mesh Wifi6 ap combo.

If people don't to wait for the 2023 release then use a master snapshot. I don't know how many times we have to repeat this.

3 Likes

Maybe you are thinking of the stable images being disabled due to the issue causing the switch to act as a hub. The upstream kernel patches resolving the issue were identified, but were considered too intrusive to backport to the current stable 5.10.x kernel build. Issue resolved with 5.15.x kernel (master), so decision was made to wait for next stable release based on kernel 5.15.x.

1 Like

I recently picked up a WRT3200ACM and had difficulties getting wifi devices to connect to it using recent DD-WRT builds.
I tried OpenWRT 19.07.10 as feedback on that was good - and wifi worked well.
Eventually updated to 22.03.2 - all still good, but noticed that no build was available for 22.03.3 due to a switch issue with 5.10 kernel.
I decided - as everyone on the forum had urged - to use a Snapshot build.
Again, everying seems fine - but with limitations:

1. don't even try WPA3 or enabling Frame Protection - this broke wifi for me - and when I went back to WPA2 without Frame Protection I noticed that my wifi signal (Band 149 at 30dB at US setting) only output 24dB, no matter that it said 30dB. I had to restore my settings from a backup made prior to testing WPA3. A reboot was not sufficient to get back my full TX output.
  2. despite setting Region for US or NZ or Panama, wifi TX output is restricted to 24dB on DFS bands
  • I am in Australia, so this is correct for here, but a little disappointing.
  1. I did not remove the second 5GHz radio kernel component - as recommeded on the WRT3200ACM page of OpenWrt - but I could stil access the DFS bands and switch back and forth - as long as I didn't change Region from US. Once I did, the DFS bands disappeared and switching region back to US did not get them back. I had to restore settings from backup.

Overall, it is a frustrating router, but for me here, wifi on Band 149 at 30dB has been very strong and stable - I have had no problem connecting various Android mobiles of varying ages, as well as several laptops older and newer.

WPA3 is not working on WRT1200/1900/3200/32X because of the driver.

I also have a WRT1900ACv1 - running on latest DD-WRT - WPA3 works reliably on it - not sure if Frame Protection is implemented or not.
The updated chipset of the WRT3200ACM seems much more problematic for WPA3 and DFS bands.

I tested on my WRT1900ACSv2, everytime I enable the WPA3, it will just freeze.

The point is, DD-WRT is using proprietary driver which is not available on OpenWrt.