Users needed to test Wi-Fi stability on Linksys WRT3200ACM & WRT32X on OpenWrt 21.02

Yup it’s still running great. I’ll post the output of your command later tonight.

@adworacz Thank you for confirming that Master and Divested are both still have cutouts as well. I generally don't use Master for daily use, with the exception of back when Davidc502 used to share his builds from master.

I just tested those AMSDU commands on my WRT3200ACM with 21.02.0 out of curiosity. I supposed I was hoping for anything that could be considered an improvement. The commands worked successfully, however, the wireless cutouts were exactly the same and exactly as often. Therefore zero benefit to disabling AMSDU specific to this issue.

I get approx. 3 wireless cutouts per 10 minutes on my iPhone Xr. That is pretty consistent during all of my testing thus far. Then I switch back to Davidc502's last build on my other partition and it's smooth sailing with no interruptions.

I'm wishing that OpenWrt cut a stable build in 2020 around the time of Davidc502's last build. 19.07.x series was pretty good with WRT3200ACM, yet sometimes a bit finicky. 21.02.x series is simply not usable with WRT3200ACM at all. Davidc502's last build was quite literally the sweet spot because it was more stable and much more reliable in comparison to 19.07.x.

However, we cannot go backwards. We can only go forward. Fingers crossed for a working 21.02.x release in the near future.

1 Like

@anomeome Here you go: https://termbin.com/63dz

That's from my current testing (and apparently stable) build using the last commit from David's build.

Had to reboot the device, as the dmesg log was too clogged with ieee8011 phy1: staid 2 deleted messages to provide any helpful pci output.

1 Like

My curiosity was around a kernel 5.10 change

CONFIG_PCIE_BUS_PERFORMANCE

that was in master for a period of time before being backed out, which is not to be seen in your link. From a current master image on a rango can be seen the Max Payload Size, but I have actually reversed the commit in my build, so values will be different on a current default build.

I assume that is from 5.4 image, so what would be seen on 21.x. At any rate, it is not clear what may be happening on prior kernels regarding this setting.

Yup this is running kernel 5.4.42, to be precise, which was the "testing" kernel at the time of the current commit.

I just started using 21.02.0 stable and stumbled into this thread when I couldn't figure out why my Android phone couldn't get internet on the 5Ghz band. Switching from WPA2/WPA3 mixed to WPA2 got me on the internet. Seems stable with WMM on.

wrt32x 21.02.0-rc4 fresh installed yesterday after a 4 month sabbatical from the router. So far after installing it has been stable, my main use at this point is using it for a wireless repeater and got the settings from another post, I am running an Asus RT-AX82U as my main and I can say the wrt32x located at the other side of my house covers the drop zones I had. I am only running off the 2.4ghz currently to test for drops during the next few weeks. The Wrt32x was my main for 3 years and had drops all the time regardless of running stock or the last builds including DavidC's and I pretty much was ready to toss it out so if this works as I hope I at least didn't waste my money too much on it. Anyway I will post if there are any problems with this setup.

Is there anything I can test on my personal builds?

Considering I have CPU Frequency patches and AMSDU disabled among everything else.

Is this issue only showing with WPA3? or is it also showing on WPA2.

I'm not sure. Just installed a couple hours ago and there is just a mountain of information to go through here. I'd just keep an eye on your devices and see how they react to changes in your network settings. All I know is switching the security setup allowed my device to get internet where it couldn't before.

Issue shows up on WPA2 also. It seems particularly a problem for certain wireless chipsets on mobile devices. iPhones and iPads are especially bad.

Yet, many laptop and desktop wireless chipsets seem unaffected by the issue entirely. This can explain why some users have zero issues at all.

My iPhone Xr in particular, triggers the wifi cutouts always within 10 minutes.

Why am I ok then? Is it because I have an Android phone instead of an iPhone?

I too have an Android phone and i see no issues however i do see the error in my logs

Sat Oct 23 13:59:08 2021 daemon.info hostapd: wlan1-1: STA ec:8c:9a:e9:e8:15 IEEE 802.11: authenticated
Sat Oct 23 13:59:08 2021 kern.debug kernel: [43952.803884] ieee80211 phy0: staid 1 deleted

My builds have AMSDU Disabled by default as well as other patches too.
However just about to start compiling a Stable Build.

It could be, but it could come down to the wireless chipset itself.

Also, sometimes that same phone model may ship with different wireless chipset depending on manufacturing and other factors.

1 Like

This is true. Its just a shame that NXP is no longer supporting the wireless chipsets in these routers and the opensource version has been abandoned.

2 Likes

I had the same issue. Had to use WPA2 only and the AMSDU disable or else I saw connect issues on WRT3200ACM + 21.02 release. Without the AMSDU patch, I was seeing dropouts. But as other stated, this doesn't fix things for them.

Thanks for trying this out, too bad it isn't working as a solution.
More details on my setup: I used 21.02 release with WPA2 only AES only, channel 136 (US). I'll look more at if I installed any other specific packages that might impact this.

How can I tell if I have AMSDU disabled?

cat /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/mwlwifi/tx_amsdu
cat /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy1/mwlwifi/tx_amsdu

My AMSDU is enabled so I guess the next step now is finding out why WPA3 doesn't work?

My understanding is that WPA3 will not work. Tried this many ways and Wi-Fi kept crashing to the point that the router would hang (WRT3200ACM). Using WPA2 and AES only mode.
I need to test and report back on my setup, to see if the AMSDU setting actually is doing anything or if there is something else i set that allowed 21.02 to work for me (iPhone X, iPad, etc.).