User guide for Arcadyan ARV752DPW22 up to date?

Hello,

I want to flash OpenWRT to my Vodafone EasyBox 803A and read the user guide under:
https://openwrt.org/toh/astoria/arv752dpw22
Interestingly under " Install OpenWrt via serial port" there it is talked about a squashfs image. But current releases are initramfs images. Does this make a difference installing OpenWRT, or can I still use the installation guide on the device page?
I'm a newbie to OpenWRT and working with a serial port. So I also wanted to ask, if there are guides that show me what else than the OpenWRT files and guides I do need, e.g. programs and if it's better to use a Linux distro or Windows?

Best regards

Newer versions are bigger, like 6MB before overlay. Install old version linked in guide then sysupgrade. You can swap wpad-* for hostapd-* before removing luci to save space.

How is this relevant to the op’s question?

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm really curious, why you want to try and install OpenWrt on this router.
Because depending on the reason, the answers you can get here will be different.

To answer your topic question, just by looking over the wiki page quickly, it is definitely not up to date.

It is quite likely that config persistence is lost at one of recent releases. Once you are on OpenWRT you at least have freedom to sysupgrade back and forth and compact image IF needed.

Thanks for the answers so far!
I also thought about installing an older version and sysupgrading then, but even in the user guide, there are different versions being used. For example the paragraph "U-Boot" refers to version 18.06.1, "Install OpenWrt Chaos Calmer via serial port - minicom version" refers to 15.05.1 and "Install OpenWrt via serial port" refers to 12.09. So this is very confusing.
I've googled other guides, and found this: https://clockworkbird9.wordpress.com/2014/12/25/when-easybox-803-a-meets-openwrt/
It refers to 14.07. Maybe I'll give it a try. But does a sysupgrade also update the bootloader? Or will it stay at 14.07?

The bootloader isn't touched by sysupgrade (apart from SBC like devices, not lantiq).

So would it make sense and be possible, to use the current version of u-boot? Or is there no benefit?

It's a newer version of u-boot, but not really a current one (on terms of upstream u-boot). Yes, it would be preferable to have a new'ish u-boot version installed, but as discussed on IRC a couple of hours ago, lantiq older than vr9 (~= VRX268/ VRX288) has very few developers- and users left and therefore sees little testing, you might be the first to find (and end up having to fix) bugs.

…and the device remains very low-end and slow, with 'not great' WLAN features.