Use my Lede router as an internet-less just-for-sharing hub between my Linux and Android devices

I have a WD My Net 750 Router. I've just flashed Lede on it.

At the place I'll be using my Lede-enabled WD MyNet 750 router, there is no internet. I have these devices:
Android smartphone
2 Android tablets
2 Mint 18.1 Xfce laptops
Mint 18.1 Mate desktop
Windows 10 Pro desktop

I bring my laptops with me when i'm on the road (they're easier to carry than a big fat desktop case :slight_smile: ) . On the laptops, I download a variety of files (from pics, PDFs, videos, etc). When I get home , I want to be able to move all those files to a desktop computer's hard drive. I'd like to do so without cables (e.g. ethernet cables).

When I'm on the laptop, I'd like to be able to access what's on the desktop computers.
When I'm on the desktop, I'd like to be able to access the stuff on my Android devices (to move my files from the Android devices to the desktop's hard drive).

As you can infer, I'm using the hard drives in my desktop computers as "storage".
How can I setup Luci and my desktops/laptops/tablets/smartphones for this?
How must I set up my lede router? What configurations should i have on Lede router? What additional softwares on the Lede router?

Thank you.

That's a multi-device setup and the router isn't doing much more than generating the network. Also note that wifi isn't terribly fast for local file transfer.

You can share folders of Windows and Mint desktops with Windows folder sharing (or Samba, the equivalent on Linux), and with that you can access them from laptops and tablets.

For accessing the tablets from the desktop, you need to do the same on them, there are apps that allow them to share folders using Samba (windows shares) or ftp or whatever else.

Another possibility is keeping all your files somewhere else and sharing it with all your devices.

For example you can use your router as a NAS (network attached storage), by attaching a usb hard drive to it and keeping your stuff in that, and sharing that with all other devices mentioned. USB 2.0 isn't the fastest port, but isn't going to saturate wifi anyway.
If you use a NAS, then you shouldn't need to move files around so much, but only read/stream them over wifi when needed.

Or you could install on the desktops, laptops and tablets some syncing programs that will automatically synchronize chosen folders between devices when they are in the same local network. Syncthing for example, https://syncthing.net/

Or one of others in the list here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_synchronization_software

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, Bob.

I installed Samba, but it looks like it's not GUI. I'll try to learn how to use Samba on Linux.

As for the Lede router, how should I configure it to make it work?

Hmmm... I didn't want to store stuff on a USB just for the sake of my sharing. I wanted to make the hard drives on my desktops as the "storage place".

Hmmm... not sure I want to do that. Coz doing that means I could be copying stuff unnecessarily.

As Bob indicated, there is very little you need to do to change the stock configuration of LEDE.

You need to enable wireless and probably want to set up security.
I will suggest you assign static IP address to each of your clients (Network => DHCP and DNS => Static Leases) just because I know that Android tablets don't browse well and this way you can always find the device at the same IP.

If you live in the sticks you probably do not need to worry about the radio channel you use, but if you are in a more congested area channel selection may impact your wireless speed. Cables are faster.

The ability to share files I believe is based on client software. I may be wrong, but I believe that you only need Samba on the router if you want to share files (USB etc) that are attached to the router. There is a luci app for Samba called luci-app-samba.

Regarding additional software, if you have cellular service where you are, it may be possible to use either a 3/4G dongle on the router's USB or if you phone can work as a hotspot you can configure a second wireless to act as client to your phones 4G hotspot. This is configuration and should not require any additional packages.

1 Like

[quote="greenlaser, post:3, topic:3575, full:true"]I installed Samba, but it looks like it's not GUI. I'll try to learn how to use Samba on Linux.[/quote]On Linux Mint there are tutorials for that, and mostly has GUI https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=23169

Same for Android.

You don't need to set up the router differently.