Use both 2.4 and 5GHz with relay

I've correctly configured my tplink Archer C6 AC1200 to use relay and I've interfaced it to my main router with 5GHz WiFi (chip Qualcomm Atheros QCA9886 802.11acn). I previously tested also with 2.4GHz wifi ( Generic 802.11bgn) and both ways work fine.

My question is: is it possible to use relay with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz (my main router has the same SSID for both channels)?

My current interfaces are

What's the best way to implement the 2.4+5GHz relay? Is it better to have two different relay interfaces that link each wireless interface to the LAN one or only one relay interface that receives both Wi-Fi interfaces?

No it will create a layer 2 loop.

Many clients still don't support 5GHz band. So the best would be to use 5GHz for the wwan uplink and the 2,4GHz+5GHz for relay access point.

1 Like

I'm connected to the "bridged" router via a cable so, I don't really care if the clients can or not access 5GHz as the Wi-Fi will be used only to "create" the bridge between my main router and the relay-ed one

Then it doesn't really matter. If you can achieve good connection over 5GHz, it provides better throughput compared to 2,4GHz. Otherwise 2,4GHz has better penetration and can reach further.

But the question was if is there a way to use 2.4+5GHz on the "bridged" Wi-Fi to increase the max bandwidth. Like the router autonomously use both to increase the downlink (the uplink is already capped at 100Mbps because the ISP)

I answered that already.