USB soundstick - play a song upon clients join to wifi AP

please elaborate.
apart from the usb sound stick and openwrt what other devices do you have that can help?
Theres surely lot of existing solution around as psherman states. sticking with the actual hardware config stated, mostly the openwrt forum and openwrt wiki will help your find your way to your solution. else in the wild web you will get it.

@ZOzo - Sorry, I saw your response (#17) and I got confused -- I thought it was the OP's response to my question about the goals. My mistake.

Meanwhile,

@ZOzo -- was this for me or the OP?

to psherman, the "please elaborate…" not for you but for the original question post @ liklev

Me too i want to understand goal behind. But if I stick to his original question which ends with "kind a doorbell project" then solution exist already but will need custom script to his needs.

overlooking the needs; here one among the tons of various possibilities to proceed with a watchdog script:
time, get actual time, get syslog lines for the past watchdog interval, compare, see if ip exist, if exist run script to trigger sound for 3 minutes or customize to his choosing, if no ip exist do nothing.

1 Like

wow, what a stir in the force. the goal is a doorbell/intercom system with the elimination of the street piece. (ok, the street piece would be the visitors own phone). i can provide the apk myself or direct the visitor to the official store to install from there a trusted application (if trust is in question).
to jeff/case 2: i don't wanna post my phone number on the street. let stay in wifi range/protocol.
suppose we are students living in a hired house with few condos.

@liklev - In my personal opinion, requiring the user to install an app and such to ring your virtual doorbell is extremely un-user friendly and doesn't make a lot of sense. Why are you trying to eliminate the street-facing 'button'? Is there a specific reason that providing the instructions about how to contact you is actually better than just making a direct method for them to do so (i.e. a button at the entrance -- as I mentioned before it could be a commercial product or a hacked Amazon Dash or other such button)?

Alternatively, I understand that you don't want to list your phone number at the street entrance, but have you considered an alternative method such as a Google Voice phone number (if available in your area), setting up a new e-mail address only used for this 'doorbell' feature, or an account with a standard messaging app that most users will already have available on their devices?

I don't mean to derail the conversation from OpenWRT solutions, but I just don't understand the reasons for your constraints nor do I understand why you think that this OpenWRT 'doorbell' project will benefit you and/or your guests.

EDIT: I see that your concern is vandalism of any buttons or whatever that you have out there, and it sounds like your traditional doorbell wire is bad. With that in mind, there are vandal-resistant doorbells and intercom systems (obviously not vandal-proof, but used in urban and industrial settings) -- you could always get a wireless unit that is 'hardened' or get a similar enclosure and hack around a bit with a button or intercom. Or just get cheap wireless buttons like the Dash I mentioned (it is around $5 USD) and if they get vandalized, you can replace easily.

You can use a SIP provider that offers a free inbound number.

How about one of these instead?

RonnieLion

4 Likes

no offend but
so funny to see people offering to buy ready made equipment (with even less possibility to customize it to my needs and lot of them cost nice).
may be i'm on the wrong forum. why don't people just buy a router and plug it.
why to mess with replace the ready OS (which do the job for them).
i guess the philosophy behind openwrt got raped.

My solution requires OpenWrt (or some other Linux setup):

That requires installing Asterisk or some other VoIP server on OpenWrt. Perhaps I should have been clear about that.

I'm not offended.

As much as I love OpenWRT and as much as I am supportive of creativity, DIY, hacking, etc. that makes the OpenWRT and other software environments so great, I am also a proponent of using the right tool for the job and not over complicating things -- at least I always try/recommend not making it complicated for other people/guests (sometimes I'm fine with the extra complication if I'm the only one affected).

I am not bashing you or your desired to find some creative solutions, I just think that these are the wrong tools and will make it so much harder for your guests to contact you. If I were a guest arriving at the entrance and I was told to install an app in order to reach you, I'd be annoyed -- it takes extra time and effort compared to pretty much every other method.

Just my 2-cents.

4 Likes

Hi, i would like to hear a warning sound (play an mp3 file) when somebody connects to my wifi. my router tp-link archer c7 v4 has 2 USB connector. it is more or less clear how to install a usb soundstick and components to play a song. what is not clear how to watch for new clients and trigger the songplay on newly connected clients. (kind a doorbell project)

1= Hi, i would like to hear a warning sound (speaker/buzzer + saintsmart/raspberry/arduino + crelay)

2= when somebody connects to my wifi (syslog/UCI…) the forum will help, sample here: Query about supported commands in OpenWrt

3= my router tp-link archer c7 v4 has 2 USB connector (OpenWRT)

4(ressemble point 1 but completely another route) = install a usb soundstick and components to play a song (need some tweek here)

5(mostly same as 2)= syslog/UCI…

6= trigger the songplay on newly connected clients (sh, bash, cron/incron equivalent…) the forum + the web + stack exchange

For talking = lleachii suggestion / old chaos calmer version might be of help

For talking = one more suggestion is to use push to talk apps already available

thanx everybody the efforts and time taken. to filter out false rings i would stick to captive portal without apk downloading, just a button for requesting entry i guess to check this interaction and trigger the ring is less headache. i pull back my intestines to stack exchange + web + somewhere else.

Hey, I have a DIY idea, involves running a script, tapping into the router LED, and using Arduino to play recorded sounds.

The extra required part will be the Arduino hardware, which can be bought for a very cheap amount.

1. A script, which will trigger a LED if it detects a new DHCP lease. Something like this.
  2. Arduino will tap into the LED.
  3. If the LED triggers, the Arduino will play a recorded sound.
  4. This can be further extended to turning on high power equipment using relays and much more.

This looks quite intriguing, I will try this setup and let you guy's know how it turns out.

Please let me know your thoughts on this :grinning:.

My two cents:

• An USB sound card costs a couple of bucks.
  • An ESP8266 can be used instead of the Arduino, and has wifi.

there's no use of wifi here, a bare ATmega328P IC with the required components should do, and a buzzer to play a tone.

Although, if the ESP-01 (ESP8266) is to be used, it's possible to add additional functionalities such as uploading logs to a database or pushing notifications to a mobile application, or even configuring to cycle the power supply, or a small OLED display for router statistics.

An ESP could receive the info wirelessly, directly from the router, and avoid having to hack the LED.

this can be done by taping into the LED's anode to read the voltage level through an optocoupler(optional).

SSH is too heavy on resources for the ESP, the other options are TCP, UDP, HTTP.
What would you suggest on sending the trigger to the micro-controller?
HTTP GET is one option...

Yes, of course, and it is a viable solution if you are happy with it; or perhaps you could use one of the available GPIOs in your device, if you are lucky. I would rather not open the device and put a tap inside: using a USB soundcard, or an external wireless device seems more elegant to me. But I guess it is a matter of tastes

Do you need SSH to send a message between two devices inside your network...?
There are a ton of projects to control the ESPs output using HTTP with Arduino code.

i have to admit, after these messages i turned my attention toward smart-home diy stuff.
now my routers act as common routers (setup as WDS) for esp8266 devices.
i succeeded to build my own battery driven wifi push buttons with months of stand-by time.

for esp boards i ended up with espeasy/mega firmware.
this firmware provides fair instruction set to my purposes.
for e.g. it has "sendtohttp" command.
kinda scripts (called rules) can be programmed from browsers because the firmware provides a nice web-gui.