USB powered GL.iNet GL - AR150

Hello
I wish to power a GL.iNet GL - AR150 exclusively off the USB ports of an ultrasound machine.
I had thought to use one of these dual A to micro B cables to provide the required 5v & 1 .0 A power.

Does anyone have practical (as opposed to theoretical) experience with this kind of solution.
Is there enough power for consistent reliable operation.

The device would be set up as a wireless client bridge, allowing a single device (the ultrasound machine that is providing power) to connect via ethernet to the AR150, and therefore get on the wifi network.
I don't know if this mode of function is more or less demanding of power.

thanks

Daniel

According to the manufacturers specs that will work.

Power input 5V/1A
Power consumption <1.5W

https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-ar150/

:open_mouth:

Do you really want to use parts obtained from eBay...on an ultrasound machine!?!?

Is the machine medical-grade?

You may wish to place a ferrite bead on this cable.

As @mbo2o stated, power-wise, this should work...but I suggest medical-grade network equipment that is properly: grounded, shielded, etc.

2 Likes

I’ve powered one of these off a laptop. A slightly different scenario but same principle.
I agree that it seems unwise to hook something onto a medical device though.

Surely a wired connection can be sourced. Any place operating an ultrasound machine probably isn’t strapped for cash lol at least in my experience.

Let me assure you that there are no public hospitals in Australia that are not strapped for cash.
There is never money to make something that is working, work better.
These machines are all running embedded windows, with the clinical application on top.
Anyway, running a dongle is not going to make the ultrasound machine become autonomous and go crazy.
Sometimes you need to be creative when your resources are limited.
There is the ideal world and then there is the reality of budget constraints.

But thanks everyone for your advice
Daniel

Why don't you just use a USB WiFi dongle compatible with whatever OS you have. You don't need openwrt.

Although a solution with a Y-cable might work, you should be aware that Y-cables are not part of the USB specification.

Use of a 'Y' cable (a cable with two A-plugs) is prohibited on any USB peripheral. If a USB peripheral requires more power than allowed by the USB specification to which it is designed, then it must be self-powered.

Source

Regarding your question:
If you use a device according to its specification, you can expect it to operate consistent and reliably.
If you use a device outside of its specification (with a Y-cable in this case), then there is no specification which makes sure that it operates consistent and reliably. It may work, but you have no guarantee.

1 Like