UPnP port forwarding not working for Windows 10 and Xbox One

Thank you very much for this, nice solution.

Besides the UPnP issues discussed in this thread, I learned today that the XBox randomly changes its MAC address on reboot, unless you manually force it to stick.
That breaks manual port forwards, firewall rules remarking UDP traffic, etc.

Not an issue if using UPnP, but could be if also running a firewall rule referencing MAC it trying to set a static lease.

Glad to hear you like the solution.

I have not experienced the Xbox randomly changing its MAC address. I use static DHCP leases, and limit UPnP to the IP of my Xbox, so random MAC would break this setup. I've never seen this on any of the 8 Xboxes I've owned and I've never forced any of them to stick.

Thanks for looking at addressing this guys! :+1:
I've been using a workaround to install an older version of "miniupnpd". The last one that was working for me on 19.07.5 was "miniupnpd_2.1.20200510-3", but when I recently upgraded to 19.07.7, I could not make it work even with that version. I'm glad that @tievolu shared the binaries compatible with mine. Thanks!

I have not experienced the Xbox randomly changing its MAC address.

I've not seen that either - I also give my Xbox a static IP via DHCP.

hello everybody i have mikrotik rb750g3 and upnp don't work too

any idea ? thanks in advance

If you're seeing the problems discussed in this thread you'll need to downgrade to an old miniupnpd package, or manually patch and build the experimental miniupnpd-igdv1 package.

I don't know if/when the patch that adds the miniupnpd-igdv1 variant will be consumed, and even when that does happen I don't know what that means in terms of the miniupnpd-igdv1 package becoming available in the standard repo for OpenWrt 19.07.

1 Like

so i installed the experimental package, is it normal for the luci-upnp to be non fuctional at this point

luci-upnp should still work because the miniupnpd-igdv1 package provides miniupnpd. It works as expected for me.

could my issue be that Linksys WRT1900ACS v1 and WRT1900AC v2 are that diffrent? because im running into an issue where the ports are opening up but it isnt allowing me to connect to random sites, so iget 100% packetloss to xbox.com when i ping it. where when i uninstall everything upnp it works fine

could my issue be that Linksys WRT1900ACS v1 and WRT1900AC v2 are that diffrent?

I don't know, sorry.

@tievolu I couldn't make the packages you posted work on my Xiaomi 4a Gigabit Edition router. The reason is the architectural difference. Can you tell me how can I build libcap and the miniupnp with igdv1 for my router? Or can you do it and upload them for me if you have some time?

Instructions for building a single package are here:

It's not too tricky. Just go slowly, follow each step carefully and don't skip anything.

At least you don't need to apply the patch manually, because it was merged yesterday :tada:

I don't know if that means it will soon appear in the nightly packages for 21.02? If it does, you might be able to just install that...

1 Like

Snapshot packages for miniupnpd-igdv1 (and libcap-ng) are now available here, although I haven't actually tried these out myself.

2 Likes

i see this was merged into openwrt master with a new commit...
Merge pull request #14656 from stintel/miniupnpd ยท openwrt/packages@37f4d88 (github.com)

Does that mean if i pull updated sources to my build enviroment there will be a new idgv1 miniupnp package I could select via make menuconfig ?

Edit I updated the feeds and it did bring in the new working version :slight_smile:

Yes. That's how it worked when I merged the patch manually couple of months ago.

1 Like

It looks like this version was fixed upstream - https://github.com/miniupnp/miniupnp/commit/2f2685af97c28ee3559af8d0a0cdf5d8b215a68f . Now what do we need to do to get this build in OpenWRT?

4 Likes

Hello everyone. Would someone know how to get this upnp miniupnpd-igdv1 on the Belkin RT3200. I appreciate the help!

I think the proper upstream fix (see above) is in v2.2.3, so you might just be able to install the snapshot miniupnpd package from here:

https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/packages/aarch64_cortex-a53/packages/

1 Like

it is in the main addons repo now committed you can just in stall it from feeds now I believe.

2 Likes

Would this work for an WRT3200ACM running 19.07.10? Can I just install libcap-ng and miniupnpd-iptables snapshot packages?

https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/packages/arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3-d16/packages/miniupnpd-iptables_2022-08-31-68c8ec50-1_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3-d16.ipk
https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/packages/arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3-d16/packages/libcap-ng-bin_0.8.3-1_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3-d16.ipk