Upgrading firmware using opkg?

@anon50098793

I've definitely thought that for something like the RPi4 which is hugely popular, a two-partition system similar to what you have on the WRT3200 and such would be a great idea. How do you do the setup? Is there a wiki article?

1 Like

replied via PM as possibly getting OT... but happy to assist anyone interested...

Was asked to merge the detailed wiki article on the rpi4 I was making/made into that shared page with all the other rpi models... which didn't seem clean or appropriate so just deleted it...

I also want to know how to have root and data partition for Virtual X86 setups.

on ext4 root=data x 2 then "boot"/grub partition can contain alternate kernels and boot entries which you can sed the 'default' on to automate... ( x64 is much easier as the required components can be directly downloaded from the download servers... and extraction from an existing image is not necessary )

you may also wish to check the current 'dual' PR for this target on github... it is much more extensive... and there are at least 3 threads here on the forum describing how different people have approached and solved similar requirements...

alot comes down to how automated you wish it to be and whether or not you wish to also support flashing the 'current' OS...

2 Likes

Just attach another block device storage to the VM and use it as extroot.

2 Likes