Upgrade from 18.06.4 to 23.05.0 (TP-Link Archer C7 v4)

Hello,

I have a TP-Link Archer C7 v4 with OpenWRT v18.06.4 installed.

I want to upgrade it to the last version 23.05.0.

What is the best way?

Can I directly upgrade it or I need to do a full install?
In case of complete installation, will I lose all my settings?

Thanks for your help.

Julien

That is to far a jump to carry your settings from 18.06.4 over to 23.05.0.

Take a backup of your 18.06.4, and use that for reference to setup 23.05.0.

Use the sysupgrade.bin path to flash 23.05.0

6 Likes

And expect a DSA switch after upgrade so using the old configs are a guaranteed failure anyway.

No, the C7 is an ath79 device. This target hasn't yet been through a DSA transition... it's still on swconfig as of 23.05.

However, there was the ar71xx to ath79 trasnsition that occured with 19.07 (they co-existed in this version, 21.02 was ath79 only). This requires a reset to defaults and config from scratch -- old config files will not be useful here.

This upgrade should be possible in two steps with sysupgrade images (settings must not be kept during the upgrades, backups from 18.06 must not be restored):

1. 18.06 > 19.07 ath79 (this will prompt a scary warning, but it is okay to continue as long as you've downloaded the correct file and the checksum matches)
  2. 19.07 > 23.05

Alternatively, it can be done in a single step using the 23.05 factory image and the tftp restore method (this will reset OpenWrt to defaults as well).

It is often a good idea to make a backup before you do any upgrades. But for this upgrade (because of the ath79 transition and the 4-release jump), the backup is only suitable for use as a human readable reference while you reconfigure from scratch on 23.05.

3 Likes

What I have seen so far is from the network config file point of view is that every device including ath79 network config are setup as a dsa device but these non fully integrated dsa devices have on top of that also the old swconfig part included in the config as some kind of ports to firmware in-between translator.

This fact becomes especially clear if you use vlan filtering which use the same network setup on all devices.

Thank for your replies.