Upgrade from 15.05 to 17.01

Could someone help me, please? I have a question regarding a TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v2. I am running OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 / LuCI 15.05-149-g0d8bbd2 Release (git-15.363.78009-956be55).

I downloaded lede-17.01.4-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr1043nd-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
in order to upgrade. Can I go directly from my current firmware version to 17.01.4? I searched the forums but didn't find anything specifically related to this.

If the upgrade is possible, are there any preparations recommended? I have done a backup via LuCI.

Thank you.

If you have only a basic router config you should be able to upgrade and keep settings. If there is a lot of packages, vpns etc installed it would likely be better to not keep settings and rebuild the setup from scratch.

I do have some non-default settings and several packages loaded. Is the backup file a good document to work from if I'm re-configuring my router from scratch? If not, can you suggest a more efficient and user friendly way to save my router config?

Thank you

Under System=>Backup=>Configuration you will need to add the configuration files for any packages you added.

See also my recent experience in doing this

I can confirm this issue.

@jpolache
Backup /etc and add your changes manually. That's your best option.