Upgrade 17.01.4 to 18.06.1 - relayd?

Hello,

I'm planning to upgrade from LEDE 17.0.14 to OpenWRT 18.06.1. The router is a Zyxel NBG6716.

I currently use relayd to extend the range of the main router (Fritzbox 7490).

My fear is that after the sysupgrade the router will reboot but the relayd package will not be installed (AFAIK it's not part of the standard images), which might leave me without connectivity.

In principle, even without relayd, I should be able to ssh into the router using the 'lan' ipaddr (192.168.0.1).. the 'stabridge' ipaddr is 192.168.178.48.

I'm not really sure what my question is, but:

1. is relayd part of the default image?
  2. even if not, will the router listen on the 'lan' address?

I'm afraid of just trying it out, because at the moment I cannot afford this router not working. If you have any suggestions please let me know!

Thanks a lot in advance.

No, you'll have to reinstall after the upgrade.

Yes, assuming you've done the upgrade with the Zyxel connected directly to your comp and chose not to keep settings. All settings will be returned to default unless you chose to keep them during upgrade, and I think most people would advise not to keep settings when going from one major release to another such as 17.* to 18.*, and connecting when the lan ip is changed from default has always been hit or miss in my experience, so it would be best to just upgrade without keeping settings and then reinstall and reconfig relayd.

You can log in on the lan address if you make a physical connection to one of the lan ports.

Image Builder could be used to prepare a firmware with extra packages already included.

Thanks both of you.

I hadn't actually considered the possibility of upgrading without keeping the settings. This will indeed work no-matter-what and reconfiguring everything should not take more than a few minutes (famous last words.. :slight_smile:

I'll see if I can test this tomorrow evening, when a router outage would not be so critical..

Thanks again!

Just some quick feedback :slight_smile:

I upgraded to 18.06 w/o keeping the settings. Took a while and some sweat to bring the router back online, as I first had to connect it as a WLAN client to the main router, to be able to download relayd, and then I had to redo the network configuration from stratch (I actually printed /etc/config/{wireless,network} before upgrading, which helped a lot :).

In short: it's updated, and it's working :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot again.

PS: I will at some point try the image builder so I can quickly generate a new image with my configuration. My fear is bricking it if I fvck up, but I think I'll be OK :slight_smile: