Updating ZyXEL WSM20 to 23.05.0

Hi,

I am running a ZyXEL WSM20 on OpenWrt 23.05.0-rc2 r23228-cd17d8df2a / LuCI openwrt-23.05 branch git-23.118.79121-6fb185f, and I believe it would be a good idea to move to the stable 23.05.0 (r23497-6637af95aa).

If I upload the sysupgrade file in LUCI, would the router keep my current configuration, or would the setup be erased (= I need to manually set it up again)?

Considering that I use my ZyXEL connected by ethernet to a modem-router from the ISP to create wifi connection to my devices, is it useful to enable the software flow offloading in routing/NAT offloading?

Thank you in advance for your help

You can choose to retain settings or to erase them. Since you're already on a 23.05 RC build, keeping settings should not cause any issues (I upgraded from RC3 to stable over a VPN connection without issues).

If you gain anything from it, depends on the speed of your ISP and your requirements. IIRC, you will lose SQM support, but if the connection is fast enough, SQM is not needed. With my 80MBit ISP, I prefer to use SQM and disable offloading.

Thank you very much @andyboeh for your very quick feedback.

I will try to keep the current settings then. Otherwise, I have saved a backup, but I am now wondering if a backup from RC can work on stable ...

Regarding the second question, I have a 300 Mbit connection (quite close to that nominal when tested via ethernet), and I might upgrate to 1 Gbit. Since I do not see the SQM packages installed, I guess it is not set up as default... I have then 2 options:

1. enable offloading (if it could provide benefits. I do not complain about the current speeds, but if they can be improved without any other issues, why not)
  2. enable SQM (I like the idea of more responsiveness, although I do not know if that would be visible ...)

sqm only works if you use your device as router, with no data being syphoned away in front of it (so nothing but the sqm router can be attached (wired or wireless) to the ISP router), it does not work in a dumb-AP configuration (and neither would flow-offloading make sense there, but WED would, but this is still rather experimental and nit without bugs). Based on your description, I guess you're using OpenWrt as dumb-AP and not as router.

--
yes, technically sqm can also be configured on an AP, but that's not what one would usually do, neither should flow-offloading actively break anything on an AP, but both -on an AP- are rather advanced, special interest setups.

Hi @slh

Actually mine is standard router configuration, with guest wifi according to https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/guestwifi/configuration_webinterface

Updated to 23.05.0, keeping the current settings.
It seems to work fine :slight_smile:
Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.