Updating WNDR3700v4 from v17 (LEDE)

Hi All,

It's been a while!

As subject, I'm hoping someone might be able to suggest a/the best way to update from v17 (specifically: LEDE Reboot 17.01.5) to what I see in the TOH is the current supported version for WNDR3700v4: 23.05.0

I hoped I might be able to just use the sysupgrade bin (I'm not trying to retain my existing settings), but it seems that v17 is probably a bit too old for that to work (which I guess is fair!).

Is there a way to upgrade from v17 to v23.05.0 directly? Should flash 23.05.0 having first reverted to stock (is there a preferred way to do that)?

Thanks,

Rob.

It's likely that there is a 23.05.2 release, and that the TOH is simply a bit behind. Ok, yup,

https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/23.05.2/targets/ath79/nand/openwrt-23.05.2-ath79-nand-netgear_wndr3700-v4-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Yes, sysupgrade -n blah.bin should do the job (-n = "discard old config"), but make sure to take a backup first so you can pick through your old settings and update things (sysupgrade -b backup.tar.gz --- scp router:backup.tar.gz workstation:...).

EDIT: Oops, I got a v2 in the link, should have been v4...

1 Like

Hi.
I have this device. It runs well 23.05.2. Meanwhile I remember issues when updating in a previous version (probably 19.07 -> 21.02). So I would recommand that you update one version at a time. Each time not keeping settings. Just configure the device once it'll run 23.05.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply, efahl

I grabbed the file you linked, and figured I'd give it a go from the GUI Backup/Flash interface (I'm occasionally an optimist :sweat_smile:), but it seems that just can't cope with newer images.

Does your reply suggest that maybe it's only validation in the web interface which doesn't like the new images, and if I transfer the file and run the sysupgrade -n file.bin via SSH, the sysupgrade method should be OK?

Thanks again for your help,

Rob.

In that case use nrmpflash to flash a 23.05 factory image.

Interesting @badulesia - I wondered if maybe a stepwise update might work.

If there isn't a direct way, I guess that's something I'll try.

Would 17.01.5 -> 19.07 -> 21.02 -> 23.05.2 be worth a go, or should I plan on more intermediate steps?

Thanks,

Rob.

Couple of -probably silly- questions...

(i) I imagine "factory image" above refers to a 'flash from factory' OpenWrt image, rather than a Netgear factory image?

(ii) I don't see WNDR3700v4 as supported by the tool (here) but I guess that list might not be complete (and there are similar generation devices listed)?

Thanks again,

Rob.

p.s. Apologies for only now getting the hang of reply/quote in the new forum :grimacing:

Yes, I said 23.05 factory image so it's an OpenWrt factory image :wink:

It is. But each devices react differently to nmrpflash. Try different timings between launching the command and powering on the device. Also wait about 1min after the success message. Experience tells me that the flashing is still in progress even if the message is displayed, and rebooting too soon leads to a corrupted flash.

1 Like

You did indeed, and I missed it; apologies.

Magic, thanks for the advice.

Rob.

If you are on windows, use npcap 1.60. I have never had succes with version 1.70+.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I've got a Mac for work but I find Homebrew hit and miss so was leaning towards trying with Windows (or Linux).

Thanks again,

Rob.

1 Like

Hi @badulesia

Just wanted to report back: nmrpflash from Win 10 with npcap 1.60 worked a treat. (I gave it a solid 180 seconds after sending the flashing before I rebooted.)

If I get a gap in meetings today, I'll have a whale of a time configuring the new install.

Thanks again for all your help (likewise @efahl ),

Rob.

1 Like

In case anyone's looking at this in future:

I installed npcap 1.60 (from the .exe installer, all releases available here).

Downloaded the win32 binary for nmrpflash from here and the '-factory' image for WNDR3700v4 from the repo here.

I set a static IP for the ethernet interface on the laptop (after flashing, the router will come up in 192.168.1.1, so 192.168.1.101 makes life slightly simpler), and followed the (simple) instructions for nmrpflash:

NOTE: Check these instructions yourself at the nmrpflash GitHub page. (I'm not responsible for something going wrong.)

i) Start with the router powered off.
ii) Execute with -L to find the target interface.
iii) Execute the flash command, when you see 'Waiting for Ethernet', power on the router.
iv) Following badulesia's advice - wait some extra time after 'Reboot your device' message (I gave it three minutes) before power cycling.
v) Give the router a few minutes to boot. Relax.
vi) Login (root, no pass) at 192.168.1.1.
vii) Do a little dance.

2 Likes

Good summary! I'll put a link to it into the ToH...

1 Like

nmrpflash is an outstanding tool that saved my a$$ many times, especially for this device. For such a huge upgrade (17 to 23) it may be the best and fastest solution.

Many packages have changed since the initial release of 23.05.2. You may consider creating a custom build which will have up-to-date packages.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.