Updating packages through Luci. Yes or No?

Hi folks.
I'm not a professional user and using OpenWrt in my home Modem/Router. I always keep my OpenWrt version up to date and doing this when they release new stable version, using xxx_xxx-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin file.
Today, I checking Luci UI and noticed that under System > Software > Uptadets a number of packages have updates available.
So technically, Is it ok to update packages from here? or it's better to waiting for the next stable release of OpenWrt?

Upgrading packages (via the CLI opkg upgrade command or the LuCI Upgrade... button) can result in major problems. It is generally highly discouraged, unless you know what you are doing or if there is specific instruction to do so.

2 Likes

Ok! I got It.
I did this once(currently in my 19.7.4) and it has not caused any problems so far. But because of your advice, I will stop doing this and install only stable releases.
thank you.

Just for the fun of it, I have been updating packages via LuCI for the past 3 months.

My observations:

• LuCI packages pop up quite often as upgradable. I havn't found them to be problematic, apart from minor hickups which could be solved by logging out + logging in again, or clearing the browsers cache
  • dropbear and busybox should be treated with caution. Some time ago (years) I shot myself in the foot when upgrading those, resulting in (I don't remember exactly any more) inaccessibility via ssh and / or some major work to get my device running again as before the upgrade.
    This might come totally unexpected to the user who "just wants to upgrade a single package", and who is now in deep trouble, because his wife wants to see her favourite TV series NOW. Not funny.
  • other packages: It depends... Be brave and click you through, one by one. Check for error messages after each package upgrade. Check for correct and expected functionality after [each|some] package upgrade(s). If suddenly your wifi isn't working any more, or you can not access LuCI anymore, you know that the last package upgrade messed up something.
3 Likes

Some binaries are provided by multiple packages.
Some other packages depend on a specific binary provider.

If you upgrade one of the original packages, it resets symlinks installed by those dependencies.
Thus you may face issues like these: Busybox 1.30.1-6 does not work correctly

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.