Updating numerous files

Folks, relatively new to opkg system but pretty experienced with Debian/Ubuntu.

When I have looked at update within either luci or via opkg update or upgrade it seems I am only able to update one program at a time via the web interface and via command line must name each file. Am I reading this correctly of can I upgrade all files requiring an upgrade in one command?

Geoff

3 Likes

Thank you, that is interesting and surprising.

Both Debian and arch have update and upgrade functions and I have never had a problem but guess OperWRT is aimed at a different user base so probably different issues.

Geoff

1 Like

It is aimed at resource-constrained embedded devices with small flash memory chips...
It is easy to run out of flash space and brick the router.

What was the last time you ran Debian in a device with 16 MB (or 8 MB) of storage space and upgraded all packages...???

4 Likes

What was the last time you ran Debian in a device with 16 MB (or 8 MB) of storage space and upgraded all packages...???

Odd you should say that but I regularly do in fact do so.

I run a Debian based R-Pi for PC on a 12 year old Acer Aspire Atom 1 with an ancient 16GB SSD. Mainly use it for terminal access to various devices but it is a Desktop and I do regularly run an update then upgrade.

I do however get the point that OpenWRT is a different target base and therefore used differently.

Geoff

The problem is that OpenWrt can fit in just megabytes of storage space, while a general purpose Linux typically expects gigabytes to be available, that makes a couple orders of magnitude difference.

1 Like

Well, 16 GB is 1024 times larger than 16 MB.

But yeah, the main point is that OpenWrt does not have the supporting functionality that you find in desktops distros (used with 16 GB disks...). Due to the typical size constraints and the ROM+overlay approach (with most routers), the in-place upgrade possibilities are quite limited.

1 Like

Ah, egg on my face there :sunglasses: KB, MB, GB.TB all those zeros.

Yeah, appreciate economic installations, I use Libreelec which is a cut down media centre and that too needs a bit of adjustment from normal Linux installations.

Enjoying learning though with my Raspberry Pi

Geoff

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.