Update method of OpenWrt

when the update will arrive do i need to update from software store like opkg update like that or update with software upgrade with openwrt.bin upload method or anything will work like i mean updating with opkg will write properly like when i do a reset i will be on the updated packages or i will be do back to the version that i have installed with .bin

You will use the sysupgrade method to upgrade the base openwrt system. You can optionally build your own images that includes the packages you use.

Upgrading packages (via the CLI opkg upgrade command or the LuCI Upgrade... button) can result in major problems. It is generally highly discouraged, unless you know what you are doing or if there is specific instruction to do so.

5 Likes

If your intent is to upgraded from, say, 22.03.3 to the next update (22.03.4, whenever it is released), then your best best is to install the LuCI Attended Sysupgrade package. Go to System -> Software and "Update Lists". Once updated, type luci-app-attendedsysupgrade into the filter (or just scroll a bunch until you see it). Install that, do a refresh of LuCI and you'll now have a mechanism that does a full update, keeping all of your base configuration, installed packages and their configurations.

Details here:

If you are a hardcore command line user (like me), then the auc package is your friend. It does the same thing, but from the CLI and with some more options for selecting releases.

But i was asking as 22.03.4 is coming so i will surely install that so when it will be available if i do update with luci or opkg update will it updated to the new 22.03.4 or it will be but if i do a reset it will do back to where it was before initially.

I am new here so i need to lookinto that what is the difference in what is already there vs what you have suggested as a firmware upgrade is already there in setting of luci i am waiting for the new update so i can test this thing. Thanks btw.

How to build an custom image can you help me understand i only use luci-doh package so what are the packages i need to add in my image.
And also i want my image that on every reset it always starts or booted with enabled wifi by default so i don't need to do it connecting to a pc with lan and enable wireless.

What are you trying to do?
Upgrade image or update a package?
Like ; the last banip version or 22.03.3 to 22.03.4 for exemple?

I’ll describe it again…

Upgrading versions of OpenWrt always uses sysupgrade, and never the opkg upgrade method. Sysupgrade is the way that you write the OpenWrt system as a whole, but it also erases all of the user-installed packages.

You can use the image builder to include the additional packages, if you want, or you can simply install them after you upgrade the OS using sysupgrade.

Never use the opkg upgrade feature unless you know what you are doing and have a specific reason for it.. I linked the warning previously.

3 Likes

This video actually solved some of my updrage related doubts https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FFTPA6GkJjg&t=1034s
So i understand i need to rebase my system uaing .bin to new image that comes next with patchs it is not like what we use in a linux system that you can update and system will update to newest version of os.

Yes as next version is coming i want to be confirm but after that video i under stand that it is read only filesystem so need to rebase to new image every now and then when ever new update comes

I want to build my own image i really don't know how to and what are the packages i need on top of base that is there by default
I use luci-doh luci-app-https-dns-proxy
So i will include it does i need anything else or i need to added dependencies for that packages or builder will take care of it.

And also if it can be possible that on my own image i can set my router to boot with wifi on (enabled) by default on reset like you know if you reset or install freshly you will see that router actually does not turn wifi on enabled by default it need to be done...so i can do it in the image it self so i can have it ready so i don't need lan cable as all my devices are on wifi so i can set everything back up from any device.

In the firmware selector, you select that you want a custom image and then it will allow you to specify the packages you want to add. You will add luci-app-https-dns-proxy and any other packages you installed previously (IIRC, you’ll also need to specify luci and related components). That will create a custom image for you and then it will download to your computer. From there, you can install it using the sysupgrade feature.

Alternatively, you can use the “attended sysupgrade” package which will actually automatically request the custom image based on what is currently installed on your router, then download and install the new firmware.

This is possible, but it is a bit more of an advanced feature in that you need to either provide the default config files as part of the image (you need the offline image builder for this), or you need to create a script to do this on firstboot. This is not something I’d recommend until you’re more comfortable with the advanced features of OpenWrt — a mistake here can be quite difficult to fix (often requiring serial access which means opening the case of the router).

2 Likes