[UPDATE] LEDE 17.01.6 custom builds for TP-LINK WR841N(D) WR941N(D) WR743N(D) WR741N(D) WR740N(D) All Versions

We have a wiki that explains a lot.

https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr841nd#installing_via_web_interface
https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr841nd#tftp_installrecovery_via_serial
https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr841nd#tftp_recovery_via_bootloader_for_v8_v9_v10_v11_v12

thanks! tmomas

Hello @xhaka, me again. Something that is spinning in my head.
To disable some init script entails some benefit in term of use of cpu? if so, what init scripts can I disable? the only module that I need at the moment is the sqm. Im using the lite version.
Thanks for the effort!
Greetings, megacles!

@megacles
If you use your router as a secondary DHCP you can try disabling the firewall and if it is the lite version it uses the boostrap theme instead of the material, and since the use of cpu can be somewhat high, remember that your router has a lower speed than the 400Mhz

1 Like

Hello, thanks a lot for this works.

Do you plan upgrade to 18.06.2?

1 Like

No, it is in my plans to use OpenWrt 18.06.2 since its previous version on 18.06 there were big changes, the devices with memory lower than 4Mb are affected since the updates of the packages and the LuCi interface occupy much more space leaving aside the possibility of compiling complete versions, it can only be compiled with certain packages or a light version.
So it happened with the OpenWrt Fork Gargoyle updated to the branch 18.06 and left out the classic TP-LINK 4Mb Flash.

If you want to update you can use this tool that was published within the community
Online ImageBuilder and Upgrade Server

I prefer to compile from scratch since you can delete even more packages that are not necessary. A good compilation of OpenWrt 18.06.2 would be to eliminate all IPv6, OPKG and to place ZRAM and SQM Scripts would be a very basic version but very useful for the majority of domestic users and small offices ...

Maybe I will compile but I will not be able to test it since I do not have TP-LINK routers. If someone has enough or no longer uses a router, I will be pleased to receive it as a donation.

4 Likes

Your build works quite well and many of us don't have the guts to do it, so an updated version would be appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also wanna say thanks to @xhaka. I understand you're not willing to compile anymore, but I am still working on my "pimp my old device" to 16MB flash and 64MB RAM. The upgrade from 4MB to 16MB worked on one device. I hope it will also for the others. - It would be great to get some pre-build-images for this improved devices!

Maybe someone will also still find a way to bring back the devices in original mode to new life until 5 GHz support is finally proper with other devices in Openwrt. - It's unfortunately still a completly mess with the buggy or even no driver support!

2 Likes

I'm trying to build my own and I need some help with a list of recommended packages.

There's a recommended list like this?

The one that I can't miss is luci-app-ddns. Zram seems to be a recommended one, also.

1 Like

Like @david.lynch , I really need ddns (no-ip) support, right now I'm using LEDE Reboot 17.01.6 Complete because of DDNS, but without IPV6 enabled (I don't use any other services, only the basics, with some firewall rules) ... A "Ultra Lite IPV4 DDNS" new 18.06 version should be great.

1 Like

ddns-scripts_no-ip_com is available in the 17.01 package repo, you can't expect a dedicated image for every single use-case/ package (unless you do it yourself --> imagebuilder). At some point it does make sense to upgrade the hardware to avoid https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/432_warning and gain some headroom for customization, especially with 17.01.x being at the end of its supported life span.

2 Likes

IPv6 is not introduced in all countries, and the truth takes up some space (necessary for 4MB flash devices) in OpenWrt. Maybe take some of your ideas and compile some UltraLite based on the current OpenWrt branch; it would only include minimal packages like Zram-Swap, DDNS with support for No-IP and maybe SQM basic scripts...

2 Likes

Hello @xhaka

How are you? It´s been a while since my last post.

Are you still making your builds?
Today i tried to compile a new build, based on v17.01.7.
The files were created, the file size was aparenttly normal but not worked.

The router boot, but looks like that the switch (LAN and WAN) does not turn on.
I used the same .config file from v17.01.6 build.

I have to use failsafe mode to revert the firmware.

Let me know when you make a new build.

Regards,
Juliano

1 Like

Hello.

Recompile everything again and now it worked.

Lede 17.01-snapshot

LuCI Minified (theme material - seems to use less RAM)
Adblock (tiny wget support)
DDNS (with No-IP scripts)
SQM scripts extras
UPnP
IPv6
opkg removed
Removed kernel debugging
Stripped unnecessary exports from the kernel image and unnecessary functions from libraries
Squashfs block size 512 Kb

For those who are interested, it's in my pCloud account.
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZyUXG7ZG3r3PaVUh7QtLYjdunAMp5wbpff7

Juliano

P.S.: Thanks for @xhaka, who teached me how to make these builds.
P.S.2: Sorry for the bad english.

2 Likes

@julianocs

Hello,
You can provide me with the Build Script, I have lost all my information from my PC and I want to compile a version of LEDE 17.0.7 for a colleague.

Thank you

Hello @xhaka

What is your email?
I will send all my material to you.

Juliano

Hello,question to topic creator,did you doing something similar custom LEDE/OpenWrt based firmware only for these WR841/WR941/WR743/WR741N/WR740 with D or you can "bake" and for example to TP-Link TL-WR843N/ND v1 :slight_smile:

Hi ,
These custom builds are compatible with the devices mentioned in their N or ND versions.

I am currently working on a light version of LEDE 17.01.7 & libreCMC that only contain Zram-Swap, SQM-Scripts and in some cases luci-proto-relay (bridge mode protocol)

Coming Soon 2019-07-28

okay then,i can wait till that day,it will be like universal custom Openwrt based firmware?and no fear that can brick mine cheap router?:grin:

What was promised, here they are Custom Builds LEDE v17.01.7 & libreCMC v1,4,5 for..

1 Like