Update Fails WGET Error 4 Operation Not Permitted

2 Likes
uci show network; uci show firewall; \
head -v -n -0 /etc/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.*/*; \
ip address show; ip route show; ip rule show

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-quick-start/sshadministration

Thanks for your reply.

I apologize for posting a photo, for some reason I can copy paste inside Putty but can't paste outside

uci show firewall:
Screenshot

1 Like

uci show firewall:

And the rest:

1 Like

You have not configured an upstream interface.

uci -q delete network.wan
uci set network.wan="interface"
uci set network.wan.ifname="usb0"
uci set network.wan.proto="dhcp"
uci -q delete network.wan6
uci set network.wan6="interface"
uci set network.wan6.ifname="usb0"
uci set network.wan6.proto="dhcpv6"
uci commit network
/etc/init.d/network restart

Assuming that usb0 is your USB tethering interface.

Connect USB modem/phone, enable tethering and check:

ip link show

If you don't see new interfaces, then install the drivers:

ip link show
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:16:35:0f:89:af brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: tun0: <POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST,NOARP,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 100
    link/none 
5: MINE!@eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
6: eth0.0@eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
7: wlan0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 4e:56:5f:c9:eb:37 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
9: usb0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether ea:bc:ad:8b:c8:e4 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
1 Like

Oh! I don't think I can use usb tethering either

Because I can't install the drivers in Openwrt

Omg! the output of ip show link that I sent you was from linux terminal, I apologize

this the one from openwrt:
Screenshot-4

This means I can't use usb tethering too, because I can't install drivers when openwrt doesn't have internet access in the first place

1 Like
ubus call system board

?

Screenshot-5

1 Like

You can download the drivers manually.

See the USB tethering guide above for the list of packages.

I get an error when I try installing packages manually via Openwrt Gui:

#### Executing package manager

Installing kmod-usb-net-rndis (4.14.195-1) to root...

##### Errors

Collected errors: * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-net-rndis: * kmod-usb-net * kmod-usb-net-cdc-ether * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-net-rndis.

The *opkg install*  command failed with code `255`.
1 Like

Download the missing dependencies using the same link.

How do I add the packages site to the repo?

It is already there and it will work when you configure an upstream interface.

I'm not sure if I understood what you mean, But won't it be the same thing since Openwrt can't access the internet?

I tried putting the link of the package here (correct me if I'm wrong) :
Screenshot-6

this is what I get:

#### Executing package manager

##### Errors

Collected errors: * opkg_conf_parse_file: /etc/opkg/distfeeds.conf:8: Ignoring invalid line: `https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.4/targets/brcm63xx/generic/kmods/4.14.195-1-1fbb84750150be52d07d9ccf2bbb3703/Packages.gz' * wfopen: https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.4/targets/brcm63xx/generic/kmods/4.14.195-1-1fbb84750150be52d07d9ccf2bbb3703/kmod-usb-net-rndis_4.14.195-1_mips_mips32.ipk: No such file or directory. * pkg_init_from_file: Failed to extract control file from https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.4/targets/brcm63xx/generic/kmods/4.14.195-1-1fbb84750150be52d07d9ccf2bbb3703/kmod-usb-net-rndis_4.14.195-1_mips_mips32.ipk.

The *opkg install*  command failed with code `255`.

am I doing it all wrong? I also tried putting the name of the package it says the package isn't in the repo, But just to let you know "the update list" (opkg update) also says 'failed to send request: operation not permitted'

what if we try the SCP method? If I know what I'm talking about

Download this package manually on your PC:

Yes, you can transfer it to your router with scp.

Okay, I'll try, I have already downloaded them, I'll see if I can apply the scp method

1 Like