Unofficial TRENDnet AC2600 (TEW-827DRU v1.0R) release v18.06.5

Device Support Status

This device is end-user ready. Wired and wireless works, LEDs work, buttons work, and factory image installation works. Testing has shown the system to be stable under load.

This document applies to the 1.0R version of hardware. Later hardware revisions are not compatible or supported here.

LEDE Project leaders previously rejected all of my patches and I didn't see any situation where it was possible to get them merged so I gave up trying. If someone else wants to take my work and move on with it, you are welcome to do so.

Currently Known Issues

There are no significant issues for this device.

We can't install OpenWRT/LEDE via the OEM web interface yet because the install will revert after next reboot due to the Safe Upgrade/redundant partition system. However, there is a recovery loader in u-boot which is easier to use anyway, so we can and should install our image that way instead.

The "LED on/off" button can't be made to work because we currently can't shut off the ethernet switch port LEDs. This may be fixed in the future if I am able to support it. The button currently does nothing, but it is configured in the DTS so you can write a script to use it if you want to. This button doesn't work under the OEM image either, so nothing lost.

Downloads/builds

The latest builds are based off the OpenWRT v18.06.5 release. The patch set for this build is v14.

Minimal image files are here:

https://jmomo.net/files/lede/TRENDnet_TEW-827DRU_20191111151852_OpenWRT_v18.06.5_minimal/bin/

Minimal+luci image files are here:

https://jmomo.net/files/lede/TRENDnet_TEW-827DRU_20191111155837_OpenWRT_v18.06.5_luci/bin/

You can download older builds and patches here:

https://jmomo.net/files/lede/

The minimal builds have a basic bare-bone package set. You have roughly 45MB of free space on the overlay to work with. No LuCi web interface or anything else. Install the packages you want with opkg.

Luci builds are like the minimal builds, but with luci-ssl added to provide a web interface.

Recovery and Installation Instructions

Installing OpenWRT/LEDE on this device is very safe, relatively speaking, and it's easy to restore the OEM image if you want to go back.

This device offers three methods for installing images: The uboot http Recovery Loader, the OEM http upgrade tool, and console uboot tftp.

Most users should use the uboot http Recovery Loader because it's easy and safe to use.

DO NOT use the OEM web/http upgrade page at this time. While the OEM upgrade tool will accept and install the OpenWRT/LEDE image, we don't yet support TRENDnet's "Fail Safe"/safeupgrade dual boot system, which means that the device will revert to the old OEM image on the next reboot.

Finally, you can install images via serial console uboot and tftp.

Be sure to download a copy of the OEM installation images in case you want to go back. See my post below for more details.

uboot http Recovery Loader

Connect an ethernet cable from your PC/switch/whatever to any one of the ethernet jacks on the router.

Manually configure your computer with an IP on the 192.168.0.0/24 network. The router does not offer DHCP services in this mode.

Press and HOLD down the RESET button on power-up for four seconds. Then release the reset button. NOTE: My testing shows the recovery system will not load if one of the ethernet ports doesn't go active/up. Make sure you have a cable plugged into an active port on other side before starting the reboot process.

The recovery page is at http://192.168.0.1/

The page should say "TRENDnet Recovery Mode" in blue text at the top and there is a "Choose File" button and "Upload" button.

If installing OpenWRT/LEDE, then upload the factory image file.

If you want to go back to the OEM image, use an OEM firmware file, such as "TEW827DRU_FW100B11.bin".

While the file is uploading, the Internet LED will blink. You can watch progress on the serial console too. Beware the progress/percent animation on the https loader page is fake/placebo.

That's it. OpenWRT/LEDE should be up and running within 30 seconds of uploading the file. The OEM image takes about two minutes and boots very slowly.

OEM http upgrade tool

DO NOT use the OEM http upgrade tool at this time. While our factory image file conforms to the OEM requirements to be accepted and installed, we don't yet support TRENDnet's "Fail Safe"/safeupgrade redundant partition boot loader scheme. The result is that the device will successfully boot into OpenWRT/LEDE after the first reboot, but upon the second reboot it will revert to the old OEM system.

I plan to work on supporting the OEM http upgrade tool and the redundant partition system in the future, but I have not gotten around to it yet.

Console uboot tftp

The serial console on this device is fairly easy to access. A 3.3v/TTL serial port can be found in the corner next to the USB ports. You will need to soldier in header pins. Disassembling the chassis is not difficult.

JP1 = Rx
JP2 = Tx
JP3 = Ground
baud = 115200

uboot gives a 2-second "Hit any key to stop autoboot" prompt, so that's easy to break. No special key combo required.

This device uses a FIT archive file, which includes an installer script, a bootconfig image, and the UBI (kernel+rootfs). All we really need to do is tftp the factory image into memory and execute the script embedded within it.

setenv ipaddr 192.168.0.1
setenv serverip 192.168.0.2
setenv netmask 255.255.255.0
tftpboot 0x42000000 openwrt-ipq806x-trendnet_tew827dru-squashfs-factory.bin
setenv imgaddr 0x42000000
source 0x42000000:script
reset

Future Plans

JTAG recovery is something I want to do some day. It may be possible to recover from JTAG by booting from RAM or programming the NAND flash on this device. I've already experimented with this but I've not yet figured everything out.

Expand the NAND partitions, or otherwise fully use the NAND flash space. The default "rootfs" partition is 64MB in size, but there is 108MB of completely-unused space on the NAND flash, outside of smem/mtd partitions. There is also an additional 64MB of space used by the redundant rootfs_1 partition. It may eventually be possible to have a rootfs file-system of 228MB in size.

Custom u-boot. This depends upon being able to safely recover. We would need either TRENDnet's broken "Fail Safe" system to be fixed, or JTAG recovery. Otherwise the risk of permanently breaking the device is too great.

Boot from USB. This is not possible right now because the OEM u-boot wasn't built with the right modules, but it is possible. This depends upon building a custom u-boot.

Old Development Forum Thread

In May of 2018 the old OpenWRT forum died due to negligent administration. Previously, this is where I had kept a running log of changes and updates for this device, but I am no longer able to update anything on the old forum thread.

This new thread replaces and supersedes any information on the old forum, but you can still read the old thread for background information for how I ported the device, previous issues, and additional technical information.

The old forum thread can be read here:
https://forum.archive.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=65956

The original (now potentially invalid) URL to the old forum was:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=65956

In 2019 the powers that be decided that it was a good idea to prevent the editing of forum posts after a short period of time, to combat some spam mechanics. Thus I intend to start a new thread for each new release since I can no longer edit my posts.

Previous releases can be found here:

2 Likes

I have not tested these particular builds, so if this works for you please be sure to let us know.

Also I have a working 19.07.0-rc1 build being tested. I am not going to publish these until official comes out, but you can build yourself with patch set v15 if you want to -- I've uploaded the patches.

1 Like

Thank you!

It looks like v19.07.0 and v18.06.6 are pending release in the near future. I will get out new builds soon after.

I have posted new releases here:

Be sure to read my notes appended to the post.

Are the builds compatible with gigabyte internet speeds? Two days ago I upgraded my Uverse internet from fiber 300/300 to 1000/1000. I only get half of my gigabit speeds using this router with version 18.06.6.I purchased a new gigabit ethernet card for my PC. I upgraded all of my cables to Cat 6. And I still only get half of my speeds using this router. If I bypass the router and connect my PC to the RG (modem) I come really close to gigabit speeds. As soon as I put this router back in the mix my speeds tank. So again can someone please tell me if these builds can support gigabyte internet? Otherwise everything is working great. I did test speeds using the built in speed test in the AT&T RG. They test at 945/965 on average. So the problem seems to be in my equipment. Thank you.

That should answer your question, the TEW-827DRU v1.0 is based on the slightly older/ slower ipq8064 SOC, compared to the router discussed there.

Now I'm confused. Should I go back to stock firmware on my router? Should I buy a new router even though this one is supposed to handle gigabyte internet just fine? Or should I just bite the bullet and take my own router out of the equation and just use the AT&T BGW210? I might just drop my internet back down to 300/300 as I really don't want to sped another penny on this so called upgrade. Thank again for any responses.

So I bypassed the router and I now get 990/980 on my fiber internet using the AT&T RG. I have tried all afternoon to reflash the stock Trendnet firmware back onto my router. Every single time it appears to complete. But when I boot up I am back in OpenWRT. Any ideas on how to flash this thing back to Trendnet firmware?

Read this post: TRENDnet AC2600 (TEW-827DRU v1.0R)

You must first install the 1.00b11 firmware, THEN patch it with the latest update from Trendnet. You don't need to install all of the intermediate updates, just the first and the latest.

You will have to do that through the Emergency loader thing as described above, just like how you installed OpenWRT in the first place.

As for performance, I can do 500/500 without too much trouble but I don't test anything beyond that. I've heard about performance limitations on the ipq806x series but I've not stressed it enough to find out so I can't say if it's true or not.

Thank you. I tried the 1.00b11 firmware early this afternoon but never got to do the latest firmware as the router kept booting into Luci. I'll try it again in case I did something wrong. But I was able to get to the last step and the screen even said "Update Successful" or something to that effect. I'll try it again. I noticed one thing though was that after I got the success message my browser always tried to reload a page that said "Backup Bootloader." Is that normal? If not maybe that's where this is going wrong.

I don't remember ever seeing anything like that before. If you can get a picture/screenshot, that would be nice.

Give it a try again and if you can't get it working let me know.

Be sure to give the Recovery Loader plenty of time to restore, like maybe 5 minutes, 10 minutes absolute max. The 1.00 Trendnet firmware file includes a bunch of extra partitions that are not normally touched, so it takes longer to finish than the OpenWRT firmware. Also, interrupting that process at the wrong time is one of the few ways you can brick this device.

I'm sorry. It says "Backup Loader". I just followed your instructions again and the router still booted into the Luci login screen. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I get the first firmware loaded to where the screen says success. Then in the upper left corner of my browser (New Edge) It says "Backup Loader" and I get a spinning wheel like it's trying to load something. I gave both firmware versions time to stop loading this extra refresh and I still booted up into the Luci login screen after rebooting the router. I am at a loss here.

I'm going to try it again tomorrow. It's starting to get late here. If I still can't get it I might just down grade my internet back to 300/300 and go back to things working as they were. Otherwise I might just buy a new router that I know can do gigabit speeds. This one should but I can't get back to the Trendnet firmware. I do appreciate the help though. If I don't have success tomorrow I'll post a screen shot. Maybe the refresh is really part of the whole process and I am not giving it enough time? I just assume that after I get a success message on the screen and things start to refresh that the firmware is loaded.

Well that's weird.

It sounds like the image file isn't being loaded correctly. Unfortunately there is no way to get feedback about the process from the Recovery Loader. It's pretty dumb.

You are loading the .bin file, not the .zip file, right?

Also, check the sha256sum and re-download if it's wrong. Read here to learn how. 7-zip can do it: https://superuser.com/questions/245775/is-there-a-built-in-checksum-utility-on-windows-7

I just tried it again making sure both firmware versions had plenty of time to load. I am still booting into the Luci login screen. I tried to post a screenshot but was told it was too large. I'll have to try again later. Yes I am loading the .bin files. I extracted them to a temp folder on my PC first. Thanks for the help. What am I supposed to do after I load the first firmware? Am I supposed to reboot the router or use the reset again? If I just reboot the router it loads into Luci before I can get the second file loaded. If I use the reset procedure it does the same thing while the 2nd file is being loaded. I have also thought of just trying to install the second firmware without rebooting router or using reset but I can not get the recovery page to come up again so I can enter the 2nd firmware. The only thing I can do is reboot or reset the router. I am pulling my hair out on this one.

Edit The files seem to check out without any errors.

Yep, that's the Recovery Loader. At least we know you are getting into it okay.

When you load the first/1.00 OEM firmware image file the router is going to auto-reboot itself, so you won't be able to time the reset button and get back into the Recovery Loader again to immediately install the second/update image. And that's fine; you can install the update later once you get into the OEM management interface and install it from there.

The question is: Why isn't the Recovery Loader correctly installing the v1.00 OEM firmware?

When I did all of my dev work I went back and forth between the OEM and the OpenWRT/LEDE firmware multiple times without problems, most of the time.

I did observe the Recovery Loader fail to install images on two occasions out of perhaps dozens, but I never figured out why and I wasn't able to reproduce the problem. Maybe you've somehow stumbled upon something which makes it fail.

Try to minimize your environment and any factor which might contribute to the problem: Unplug all network connections except for a direct attachment to your PC system when using the Recovery Loader. Don't try to load in a second image; try to let the 1.00 OEM image boot up first.

It could also be possible that there is something different about your system which is breaking the OEM installer script, but I've never seen anything like that before. I have two units here at home and five others I've worked on directly and they were all the same.

Prognosis: Fuck if I know!

Lol!! I know right? Ok I'll try it again and see what happens. Last night I did try rebooting the router after v1.00 was installed. And it booted into Luci. But I am very persistent.Thanks again for the help!

I tried several times this morning. I can not get rid of OpenWRT. The router boots into Luci every time. I am going out now to pick up a new TP-Link AC4000 Mu-Mimo router that will do gigabit internet. Thanks for all of the help.