Unknown switch 0 topology in LuCI and trouble with VLAN configuration

Hi,

I have upgraded my GLiNet GL-AX1800 to the latest firmware release 4.5.16 r. 2 / OpenWRT 21.02-SNAPSHOT r16399+165-c67509efd7 and very strange things happen. First of all, when entering the switch menu I see the message "Switch switch0 has an unknown topology" and port naming in the graphical mapping is totally upset. Looking at the router from the back, physical ports from left to right are WAN, LAN1, LAN2, LAN3, LAN4 and in LuCI graphical mapping are Port 1, Port 2, Port 3, Port 4, Port 5, plus CPU(eth0) which should be the internal bus connecting to the CPU. Actually I did some testing connecting an Ethernet cable to each physical port and I got the following sequence from left to righ in LuCI: CPU, WAN, LAN1, LAN2, LAN 3, LAN 4. I Say that Port 1 is actually CPU since it is reported as 10000baseT without any physical connection. In a few words, it looks like a big mess, furthermore, when trying to add a VLAN to the switch, VLAN IDs higher than 15 are disallowed despite they should be up to 4095. The other strange thing is in the interfaces section in Luci where I see a MODEM_1_1_2_6 entry which is impossible to remove. It can be deleted in LuCI, but after every reboot, it comes back with a popup message saying that ifname renaming is necessary for LuCI to work. Also I tried to delete it in /etc/config/network but it keeps reappearing after every reboot, there seems not to be any logical explanation for this. Basically what I need is having my WAN interface tagged with VID 100 and COS 0 connected to the ONT of my fibre ISP, but I don' t know how to do it in this big mess. Could anybody please advise a possible solution ? Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind Regards

This device isn't supported by the official OpenWrt project, and that firmware is from GL-inet. Their fork is heavily modified relative to the official project, so it is not supportable here. Please reach out to GL-inet's support channels/forums.

Thank you so much for your quick reply. Unfortunately I sent a request on their support forum one week ago but nobody has replied so far. If it is as you say, it looks quite weird that they keep branding such firmware as genuine OpenWrt, I think it should be named differently.

Kind Regards

Yeah... it should be. It's totally legit for companies to use OpenWrt as the basis for their products (provided they comply with the license terms). The problem is that they then advertise as "OpenWrt" and that tends to cause a lot of confusion for users insoar as it isn't obvious that theirs is a fork.

Normally, the remedy is easy -- install an official version. But your device is not supported, so that isn't an option for you.

Hi,

I have found an effective workaround which might be useful for others experiencing my same problem. In the /etc/config/network file I added the following lines:

config interface 'wan'
option force_link '0'
option ipv6 '0'
option _orig_ifname 'eth0'
option _orig_bridge 'false'
option metric '10'
option proto 'dhcp'
option vlanid '100'
option peerdns '1'
option device 'eth0.100'

now all packets travel through the WAN interface properly tagged with VID 100 as required by my fibre ISP (Virgin Fibra) and everything works fine.

Kind Regards