Unifi APs run OpenWrt.... adopting any APs running OpenWrt under the unifi controler

Hello ,
its been a while sence i noticed that my ubi ap ac lites are runing a flavor of openwrt,

Device UAP-AC-Lite:d3aa: Connected

BusyBox v1.25.1 () built-in shell (ash)

___ ___      .__________.__
 |   |   |____ |__\_  ____/__|
 |   |   /    \|  ||  __) |  |   (c) 2010-2022
 |   |  |   |  \  ||  \   |  |   Ubiquiti Inc.
 |______|___|  /__||__/   |__|
            |_/                  https://www.ui.com

Welcome to UniFi UAP-AC-Lite!

********************************* NOTICE **********************************
* By logging in to, accessing, or using any Ubiquiti product, you are     *
* signifying that you have read our Terms of Service (ToS) and End User   *
* License Agreement (EULA), understand their terms, and agree to be       *
* fully bound to them. The use of SSH (Secure Shell) can potentially      *
* harm Ubiquiti devices and result in lost access to them and their data. *
* By proceeding, you acknowledge that the use of SSH to modify device(s)  *
* outside of their normal operational scope, or in any manner             *
* inconsistent with the ToS or EULA, will permanently and irrevocably     *
* void any applicable warranty.                                           *

UAP-AC-Lite-BZ.6.0.21# cat /proc/version
Linux version 4.4.153 (builder@owrt1505-builder) (gcc version 5.4.0 (LEDE GCC 5.4.0 r3979-2252731af4) ) #0 Thu Aug 30 12:10:54 2018
UAP-AC-Lite-BZ.6.0.21#

and i had a idea , would it be posible from , for example extracting software from the ap , make a regular ap runing owrt , behave on the network like the ubi aps and addopt it on the controler ?

it would surely rase some legal concerns over at ubiquiti ...

1 Like

Well you can try, however unless the service software is statically linked you are likely to encounter dependency / library issues.

Looks like the SDK they are using was based on 15.05, which is very old

Not easily, no.

The best way to do this would be to write a service specifically for OpenWrt, which would allow translation of the adoption/configuration process to-from Unifi format.

There was a project some 5 years ago that attempted to emulate the expected Unifi API on OpenWrt: https://github.com/trueserve/openUF

However it hasn't been updated in ages, and I haven't seen any other attempts at reverse engineering the protocol.

You'd also be limited to Unifi models, which means unless your router/AP matches up perfectly with one of their devices, you'll have some issues (either the controller trying to set a config not supported by your hardware, or the controller not sending enough configuration to fully cover your hardware).

Help me understand why you'd want that?

AFAIK people flash OpenWrt to free the unifi products from the need for the controller/ubiquiti app/ubiquiti control, why you'd want to enroll freed products back?

Also, if you're fine using the ubiquiti controller, you may benefit from the proprietary radio drivers/firmware built into their proprietary builds of OpenWrt.

well, the usecase that lead me to reshearch this topic was that i have a deployed some unifi ap at my place , and using its imho exelant unifi controler software i was able to manage my wifi network ( personal & guest + portal ) , wifi map , roaming , see what clients are connected to what AP thus knowing their location etc very very easily .
i wanted to increase coverage of my wifi (lets say to another floor or building , temporaly ) on the cheap using some openwrt enabled hw and geting the best of both worlds (luci & unifi controler) ...

but this is imposible , i found out that during addoption (witch is basicly some json commands via ssh to the AP) the controler "phones back" to ubi to check if the S/N is correct , then proceeds with the addoption procces .. if the Controler has no internet , during addoption , it will throw an error .

..sad...

Ah, sorry, I misread it originally as if you wanted to use it for OpenWrt-flashed unifi models only, now it makes sense.

I believe that this, if implemented, would infringe on Ubiquiti IP. There are OpenWrt provisioning tools you may want to investigate.

Yes, you are absolutley correct . legal stuff slipped right through my mind..

But for the reccord what provisioning tools does openwrt have ? and are they similar to the unifi controler in function ? (control SSIDs , Vlans GuestWifi , users/Clients across multiple APs ) ?