Unifi 6 Lite + Intel AX210 = No Wifi6

I am using an Intel AX210 WiFi 6E NIC in my Windows 10 laptop connecting to the new Ubiquiti Unifi 6 Lite AP using WPA3 which works fine, but it always connects as a Wifi 5 connection (802.11ac) and never as WiFi 6 which both radios support. I should get a WiFi 6 link in OpenWrt 21.02-rc2 correct? Anything special needed for this to work?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/wireless/wi-fi-6e-ax210-module-brief.html

https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-ap-6-lite

Wifi 6 is not supported by Luci (yet).
Did you configure your wireless config manually to enable ax mode?
If so, share your config please.

Some notes here about configuring it manually for now:
Got 802.11ax working in Linksys E8450 - Installing and Using OpenWrt / Network and Wireless Configuration - OpenWrt Forum

Thank you for the info on WiFi 6 not being supported in LuCI. Do you know if this improvement is on the roadmap for 21.02 release? It would be nice if WiFi 6E was also added to the UI. After I try to get it working I will let you know here. BTW the Unifi 6 Lite is a nice OpenWrt AP. Thumbs up :+1: to those who got OpenWrt running on it.

@psql30
Did you get WiFi 6 working on the Unifi 6 lite? I'm considering upgrading my wireless AP and I'd like to know if you were successful.

@slim0287 Not yet. I have been waiting for the final release of 21.02 to finish my testing with the Unifi 6 Lite.

Ah, I'm also waiting for the 21.02 release to upgrade my WAP. So, if you post your findings here after you've done your testing with the 21.02 release I'd definitely appreciate it.

@psql30 Any chance you have finished your testing with the Unifi 6 Lite and the 21.02 release? I just purchased, flashed, and set my own up and am trying it out.

Also, I haven't found it... is there an option in Luci to enable ax mode or I am doing it manually? [EDIT: Oops.. I see in LuCI that Operating frequency it only gives a choice of AC, not AX. I gather we do Wifi 6 manually still with this release as a result.]

Any updates on getting AX working on 6 Lite?
Thinking of buying this AP for this purpose.

AX works on my UniFi 6 Lite. Because I use the 21.02.0 stable release, I have to enable it from the CLI:

root@OpenWrt:/# uci show wireless
root@OpenWrt:/# uci set wireless.radio1.htmode='HE80'
root@OpenWrt:/# /etc/init.d/network restart

Mi WiFi6 capable devices subsequently report they have a WiFi 6 connection. I understand if I used a snapshot I could enable AX from LuCI. I also read that there will be a 21.02.1 release soon that should have AX enabled in LuCI. (https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2021-October/036825.html).

1 Like

There's currently no pending patchset for the upcoming 21.02 service release. The 802.11ax rate support in LuCI shouldn't be to complex to backport, however it touches various parts (LuCI, iwinfo, core), which all use a different version level than trunk.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for the correction. That's unfortunate, I was looking forward to installing 21.02.1 primarily because it would have AX as part of LuCI but as you pointed out that was essentially a guess on my part based on what I have read about snapshots (Enabling WiFi 6 in 21.02 - #3 by andyrichardson). I'll be a little more careful with my choice of words in the future.

EDIT: I installed 21.02.1 on my UniFi 6 Lite. AX is now part of the LuCI GUI (See below). When I select it, I have verified a WiFi 6 connection on my WiFi-6 capable devices.

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.48.36 AM