Unidentified network after setting static IP on other W10 PC

Hey, I have an problem with OpenWRT. I have an main computer connected to router (TP-Link Archer C6 V2) with an static IP and its working perfectly. Today I wanted to connect additional PC to this router by cable - works good until I set Static IP (In Windows Network Connections). It's the same settings as in my Main computer (the only diffrence is IP Address - Main 192.168.0.2, Second PC - 192.168.0.3). Then on Network Device I see Unidentified Network, ipconfig says nothing about Default Gateway (literally, empty space).

If you set static ip on windows you have to set the default gateway manually to get an internet connection. I think dns has to be set too.

Set it on windows or in OpenWRT? As I said I have almost 1:1 copy from working PC. Everything is set up correctly on Windows.

on the PC ....

As I said... I have almost 1:1 settings... Only IP address is diffrent (main PC 192.168.0.2, second "problematic" pc 192.168.0.3). Subnet Mask, Default gateway, Preffered DNS server and Alternate DNS server are the same. Even with more randomized IP address to avoid "mess" (for example 192.168.0.146) have the same problem.

With broken settings I can access router settings (I dont know how, default gateway in ipconfig is empty), I can ping main PC and router (I dont know about other direction, ping problematic PC from Main PC)

Why not just use dhcp on the windows machines?

If you set static ip addresses, as said earlier, you just set all parameters: ip, subnet mask, router/gateway, and dns. If you don’t set all of them, your internet connection will not work. Period. If you can’t figure out how to input those values into windows, try simply using dhcp.

1 Like

If you have defined an IP address in the same subnet as the router, you do not need a gateway to connect to devices in that network. Local network traffic is switched. When you try to connect to other networks, the traffic must be routed. To be routed, the computer needs to know the router/gateway address of the router. The problem you have is that you can’t reach any other networks (ie the internet) unless you can define the gateway.

If you set static ip addresses, as said earlier, you just set all parameters: ip, subnet mask, router/gateway, and dns. If you don’t set all of them, your internet connection will not work. Period. If you can’t figure out how to input those values into windows, try simply using dhcp.

As I said earlier, the only diffrence between working PC and Second - problematic PC is the IP Address...
Here's how it's look on working PC.. Problematic PC has the 192.168.0.3 IP Address..

But you said that the broken pc shows blanks for the gateway and dns, right?

Try using dhcp.

By the way, this issue is not related to openwrt - it is purely a windows problem.

1 Like