Unclear version of hostapd in trunk

I am currently experimenting with per-STA PSKs and mixed-mode WPA2/WPA3 SSIDs. There am some recent-ish enhancements in hostapd that could make my life easier and maybe also fix some of the issues I am facing. Also I don't want to open any hostapd-bugs when not using the most recent version.

The Makefile of hostpad reads: PKG_SOURCE_DATE:=2020-06-08

I can see some commits to hostapd inside the OpenWrt-repo, but they seem to relate to some patches and scripts? Is this really the base for hostapd-code? If yes, what is the best way to update to the most current release, especially regarding the custom OpenWrt bulid-time patches?

PS: I am using wpad-wolfssl, I hope this is even the right place to update. Sorry, I'm quite new to building OpenWrt.

Look one line lower, that is your exact source base:

1 Like

OK, the hash points to a commit from 2020-06-08 14:48:57 (GMT), so the date inside the Makefile is correct.

How can I update hostapd to a to something that is not 5 months old, especially regarding the custom patches? I know how to update feed-packages from trunk...

Set PKG_SOURCE_VERSION and PKG_SOURCE_DATE to a recent desired commit hash and rebuild the package with:

make package/hostapd/download FIXUP=1
make package/hostapd/{clean,compile} V=s

The first command downloads the source and correct the PKG_MIRROR_HASH variable.
V=s prints the build output to stdout and you see if the custom patches still apply.

This should work with the full build system and with the downloadable sdk's.

If the patches doesn't apply, you have to fix it by removing the patch if it's a fix that is merged upstream or you have to fix that patch to apply on your newer hostapd version.
Take a look here how to work with patches: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/build-system/use-patches-with-buildsystem

I removed all of patches called "mesh" and all the ones that caused errors. Unfortunatly this also included "600-ubus_support.patch" and "700-wifi-reload.patch" of wich at least the ubus-patch seems mandatory. Also without it compiling does not work:

make[3]: Entering directory '/home/flo/src/openwrt/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/hostapd-wpad-full-wolfssl/hostapd-2020-11-03-56a1df71/hostapd'
cc1: note: someone does not honour COPTS correctly, passed 0 times
hostapd_cli.c:9:10: fatal error: includes.h: No such file or directory
 #include "includes.h"
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

Is there a maintainer of hostapd in OpenWrt? Sadly I am not a coder...

OK, sorry, I thought that was a maintainer inside the hostapd project, not from the OpenWrt-side.

Why you haven't provided your desired commit hash so that anybody of us can help you?

You can also ask on the openwrt mailing list instead of the maintainer directly...

I've had a look at the last ~300 commits to hostapd yesterday and noticed quite a couple of SAE related fixes. My intention was to somehow just bump my version up to the latest master and see if the behavior changes. There seems to be a bug, where hostapd does not apply the correct VLAN tag to the client. Before any deepdive and troubleshooting I just wanted to check if this has just been resolved already.

I've already submitted a small pull request for fine-tuning of the generated hostapd-config.

I assume, that there is someone very familiar with all the hostapd patches and also there has to be some kind of process that regularly bumps the hostapd version used in OpenWrt, unrelated to me. If you tell me that, yeah, there will be a merge in the next couple of weeks, then I am totally fine with that. If I do indeed find a bug in hostapd I will try to repro that in a sensible way and have it fixed upstream. If the mailing list is the right place to do so, I will do that. I'm just not familiar with mailing lists at all, so I tried this forum first :slight_smile:

1 Like