Unbound memory requirement?

Greetings all,

with a major help from several members, I have a, rather unusual networking arrangement configured.

I was just planning to familiarize myself with OpenWRT and networking, but greed took the better of me, and I would like to install unbound, that I ran on my laptops before. However, I was warned by another member, @slh, that my router's resources are marginal.

So, I was wondering if somebody, who is using unbound could look at my memory/storage usage and advise, whether I could run unbound without issues.

If not, I will just get more familiar with OpenWRT, and wait until I acquire more suitable hardware.

Kindest regards,

M

Not remembering the previous discussion or what actual device we're talking about, it appears that you are using an 8/32 device, which is already having problems just booting up. Installing unbound would kill it both in terms of the available flash and -even more- the very limited RAM.

You really need to upgrade the hardware first, both for just using it with OpenWrt - but even more if your intention is to install just about anything larger (and unbound is larger).

1 Like

Hi @slh,

thank you for your reply.

You are correct it is an 8/32 device. I cannot confirm the problems with booting, and I had abused it by (mis)configuring it, resetting to factory condition, and repeating the process many times. It also seems to be doing basic routing between wan and three VLANs.

Saying that, I will take your advice not to tease the fate and will not install unbound.

I am thinking for the "final solution" to acquire something based on x86 for the upgrade-ability.

Kindest regards,

M

x86_64 is a good option, but there are many steps between 8/32 devices and x86_64, some of which might suit your needs better. The decision depends on what features and requirements you're actually looking for.

Hi @slh,

my requirements are not very demanding. In addition to in the future plan for four VLANs, with only two or three work stations form one of the VLANs accessing Internet simultaneously, I would like to install, unbound, some application allowing advertisement and cookies filtering/denial, proxy, and VPN/ssh to access the data from the Internet when traveling.

I understand that the Internet-facing device should run as few services as possible and honestly, I cannot (currently) fathom what else I would need. Nevertheless, as I am a newbie, I like the x86 for the reserve. Also some of the devices are fairly affordable and I do not think that I need more than four LAN ports because I have two eight port managed switches if necessary.

Kindest regards,

M

mvebu devices are nice. I still use one as my home router. It works well on sub-gig cable internet. It has dual core, 11ac, and more than enough RAM and ROM. Many even older 16/128 MIPS devices will work okay for Unbound, but WAN-LAN routing is limited, and the typical 11n implementation is not good for a multi device home.

Hi @EricLuehrsen,

thank you for the recommendation.

I do not need built-in WiFi, due to my paranoia, everything is hard-wired. Additionally, with the growing requirements on flash/RAM, I believe that it would be wise to invest in a device that has upgrade-able RAM, NVME/SSD, etc.

I looked at some of the devices, and when one is patient, they can be purchased from sub-$100 to $150. And since my device is currently working with all of my hosts on it despite @slh's post, I am in no rush.

Now, as @slh noted the flash/RAM is marginal, and I am doing just basic routing, the VPN's are on a managed switch, and so I cannot implement the full functionality I would like, but I will get there.

Kindest regards,

M