Unable to use specific DNS server, cleanbrowsing.org Adult Filter

I use DNS servers from cleanbrowsing.org for content filtering at home. I've been using the Family Filters at https://cleanbrowsing.org/filters/#step2 and would like to switch to the Adult Filter on occasion.

I enter the DNS servers in LuCI in Network>Interfaces>WAN, then edit, "use custom DNS servers". My current DNS servers (185.228.168.168, 185.228.169.168) work fine. So does 1.1.1.1. But, when I switch to the desired servers (185.228.168.10, 185.228.169.11) I lose the DNS service. I can still access sites if I have the IP address of the site.

I can connect my computer directly to the fiber modem and I can use the Adult filter or any other DNS just fine. So the problem is not with my ISP or computer, but must be with something I have configured on OpenWRT. I've tried a clean installation of OpenWRT with no personalized changes and I have the same problem.

I'm using OpenWrt 21.02.3 on a TP-Link Archer A7.

Does anyone have an idea of what I have configured wrong?

1.1.1.3 should fit your bill and likely to have server in next big city.

Why not upgrade to 23.05.3 in the meantime?

If you suspect provider filtering 3rd party DNS you can use doh proxy dot proxy stubby, or dnscrypt proxy.

Thanks brada4. I didn't know cloudflare had a family filter. That's the most simple workaround.

I'll try the upgrade to 23.05 and see if that makes any difference.

I don't suspect my provider is filtering 3rd party DNS because if I bypass my OpenWRT router and connect directly to the modem, I can use the cleanbrowsing.org Adult Filter with no problem.

It will not become any different, just that heap of small upgrades help security.

So. updated. bricked... 2hrs.. debricked.
completely clean install of 23.05
Still cannot connect to the CleanBrowsing Adult filter.
The cloudflare is good enough for occasional use, but I prefer the Cleanbrowsing DNS.

It is not openwrts shortcoming, service is simply not well provided in your location. Friend of mine used that for his kids and guests, literarilly it glitched so bad that could not resolve half of major sites.

Debricking is for heroes clicking past full page red alert to reset configuration.