Unable to update GoFlex Net

Midnight commander is not a GUI... in any case I'm constantly told to use LUCI to make any changes.

In case you have not used mc, it is basically a user friendly front end to ls, less, find etc...

So I've basically managed to get as far a the password prompt in ssh, but whatever password I use, or change via passwd in the serial console has no effect.

I even followed instructions for

Resetting the root password

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/troubleshooting/root_password_reset

...but that didn't work!

I never understand your responses...I read your first post.

Now fix your issue!

(It seems he silently followed my advice and was able to SSH.)

If you can see the rules, you can delete them.

Does anyone else think @balanga is a troll?

Troll, no. Over his head for what he's trying to do, yes.

Not just here, but at https://forums.freebsd.org/search/79022/ as well

2 Likes

The requested page could not be found.

Might require a user to be logged in. Here's a taste

OP is also cross-posting there, without indicating (or perhaps even realizing) that Linux and OpenWrt work very differently than FreeBSD

1 Like

:hushed:

Wow...

your device operating system is not an official openwrt release. therefore, the help you are receiving here is complimentary. show us you deserved it and go and find a source of information ( preferrably not a forum ) and study, who made the OS, and how they setup the users / login.

or, get some nice linux books.... use that system to learn.... what a great opportunity!

1 Like

It's an Orthodox File Manager...based on look/feel of Norton Commander...one of the first prototypes (not made by the company who made the OS) - for almost all GUI panel-based file managers known today.

I should note it also accepts mouse movements :wink: - which means it possesses a Graphical User Interface by definition. Until you made the statement above, I've never heard anyone make such a distinction outside of educational circles.

I should also note that the development of GUIs was exactly because of the reason you stated:

So, @jeff's point was misunderstood. You should truly get a grasp of the underlying software. You'll need to when you encounter a device that doesn't have capability/space for the installation of mc. You may have found your reckoning on that issue in the GoFlex Net.

No, he just prefers BSD for his desktop

1 Like

Since you have shell access via serial and we all want to minimise your pain.

1. login by serial.
  2. from your serial session use scp to copy the 18.6.2 upgrade image for your device to /tmp
  3. from your serial session use sysupgrade to flash the image. DO NOT keep settings.

Optional

1. backup the important MTD partitions, I know you know how to do this.

There is nothing on that old OS you need to keep especially since you didn't install it yourself and have no idea what it's settings are.

If you can't do the above successfully , just go back to default settings by running
firstboot

1 Like

God, you must be really bored to spend so much time stalking me.

Actually those old settings provide an opportunity to learn how other people set up a system, that's why I want to archive them in some way.

I don't have a problem with blitzing the existing system.

Thanks for the mention of FIRSTBOOT. I'll have a look at that.

I previously looked at:-

Resetting the root password

but could not get that to work.

Maybe someone can explain to me how I can use a mouse with mc when I ssh into a system...

No, this would be complementary. This is likely not OpenWrt-related, as most OpenWrt devices don't have mice, displays, etc. -

And yes, I read that.

I think you meant to say copy other peoples settings without actually understanding them.

I think at some point you need to realise when more than one person is directing down a certain path that you should reconsider the path you are taking.

1 Like

It would be more educational for you you if you simply started with a clean install of a current release. Then stated what your goal is so the community can assist you achieve it.
Many people have never used chaos calmer and wouldn't have a clue what to do with it. I am one I those people I have only used release 17 & 18

1 Like

My good friend, I honestly think we need to all [respectfully] understand what he's actually trying to learn.

I've used it enough to know that the configs are likely incompatible.

1 Like

Of course I don't understand them, but by studying them I may learn something.

At the moment I am intrigued as to how I am unable to gain access to my own system, even though I have tried to follow guides which tell me how to do it.