Unable to get web gui

I flashed linksys ea3500 with "openwrt-kirkwood-linksys-audi-squashfs-factory.bin" then try to access web gui using ip "192.168.1.1" but didn't work. Then I ssh to it and was successful and got banner with bleeding edge screen. I tried command "opkg update" but said failed connection. Do I have to connect ISP modem cable to WAN port on the linksys and then lan cable to pc? What am I doing wrong? Please help with steps or which file to flash to go directly to web gui?

From "bleeding edge", it sounds like you may have an ancient version of OpenWrt that is not suggested for use in any way.

You might try downloading a current version from the links on https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/ea3500 based on the specific model that you have. There are installation instructions there as well.

Edit: If you've got ssh access to the device, you might try using scp to copy the current-version image to /tmp/ somewhere and then use sysupgrade -n to upgrade without saving your config (it is likely to be incompatible with current config). With your current firmware, you can check that sysupgrade exists and has the -n option with (from current OpenWrt)

jeff@office:~$ sysupgrade -h
Usage: /sbin/sysupgrade [<upgrade-option>...] <image file or URL>
       /sbin/sysupgrade [-q] [-i] <backup-command> <file>

upgrade-option:
	-f <config>  restore configuration from .tar.gz (file or url)
	-i           interactive mode
	-c           attempt to preserve all changed files in /etc/
	-n           do not save configuration over reflash
	-p           do not attempt to restore the partition table after flash.
	-T | --test
	             Verify image and config .tar.gz but do not actually flash.
	-F | --force
	             Flash image even if image checks fail, this is dangerous!
	-q           less verbose
	-v           more verbose
	-h | --help  display this help

backup-command:
	-b | --create-backup <file>
	             create .tar.gz of files specified in sysupgrade.conf
	             then exit. Does not flash an image. If file is '-',
	             i.e. stdout, verbosity is set to 0 (i.e. quiet).
	-r | --restore-backup <file>
	             restore a .tar.gz created with sysupgrade -b
	             then exit. Does not flash an image. If file is '-',
	             the archive is read from stdin.
	-l | --list-backup
	             list the files that would be backed up when calling
	             sysupgrade -b. Does not create a backup file.
1 Like

"Snapshot", "trunk", or "bleeding edge" (different names used over the years for the same concept) builds do not include the web GUI. You can identify them because the file name does not contain a version number.

So do what @jeff said and sysupgrade it to a release version. This does not require connecting the router to the Internet. Push the new firmware from your PC to the router's RAM disk (/tmp) using scp then log in with ssh and execute the sysupgrade -n command to flash it.

2 Likes

So, first I downloaded this file "http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.1/targets/kirkwood/generic/openwrt-18.06.1-kirkwood-linksys_audi-squashfs-factory.bin" and tried to do firmware upgrade using linksys ea3500 web interface. It showed the progress bar for install and then rebooted the router but when I tried to access using 192.168.1.1 it presented with same current stock firmware interface for linksys as if it neved upgraded the firmware. I don't know why. Any thoughts?

If I remember right 18.06.0 should work but yeah, 18.06.1 doesn't and I don't know why, the ea3500 has had problems with installation/flashing for a while, I tried going back to stock a few weeks ago just so I could test what builds would flash/not flash and couldn't even get back to stock.

If it is running OpenWrt now, use the sysupgrade file not the factory one.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.