Unable to flash new Firmware image

I bought some 5x used Linksys Velop, and created an image that worked in 4 of them, but not on the last one. Murphy's law applied to OpenWRT installation. Always fail the last one.

Anyway, I used https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/, created a package with everything I need. Downloaded the new image and installed 4x. No problems, the last AP, it didnt work.

After a lot of investigation, the only thing that I believe can be the problem is the Sofware disk Usage, that is saying 99% usage. I already tried deleting everything I don't need, such as PPPOE, PPP, etc. And no luck.

Is there a way to clear that? By the way, any time I remove some of the programs, if I reset or try the firmware upgrade, it comes back. To me, it seems that I am working on the overlay. I try the LuCI, Flash new firmware image.

Attached a picture showing, on the first one, the 99% Disk Usage. The second one, same image, 0% Disk Usage. I want to somehow be able to clear that, to flash the firmware.

Thanks

It is confusing but that 99% is free memory; the actual usage is ~1%.

2 Likes

That is sad, because then I have no idea why a perfectly good image works 4x but not on this last one.

Any ideas what I should look for?

Thanks anyway

What exactly happened? Did you get any error messages?

2 Likes

Well, I only have a network connection to the device. I may need to investigate if the device provides a serial connection. Anyway, this to say that all I get is the beginning of the process, then I lose contact to it, until it comes back, and it doesn't work.

Any suggestion on how I can create a log of the sysupgrade? I tried doing this thru the gui but also cli. In both cases I am unable to see what happens, other than, it doesn't :cry:

Serial may be useful, but let's start with the current situation:

• What is the model of the device (as labeled on it's info panel)?
  • What firmware is currently on the device?
  • What process are you using to install OpenWrt?
  • What exact file are you using (provide the exact filename)?
  • What do you observe happen when you try to actually run the installation process?
  • How are you connected to this specific unit?
  • For how long is contact lost?
  • How exactly does it "come back" and what do you observe at that time?
  • Anything else of note that you've done or observed?
2 Likes

So, let's go in parts:

• What is the model of the device (as labeled on it's info panel)?
    The device is a Linksys Velop, the model number on the bottom says VLP01.
    https://www.linksys.com/dual-band-intelligent-mesh-wifi-5-router/VLP0101.html
    I am using Linksys WHW01 for the image.

• What firmware is currently on the device?
    OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r20726-3f814ecd24. You can see on the image I attached.

• What process are you using to install OpenWrt?
    LuCI - Flash new firmware image
    I also tried sysupgrade

• What exact file are you using (provide the exact filename)?
    openwrt-23.05.2-c595fedd229a-ipq40xx-generic-linksys_whw01-squashfs-factory.bin

• What do you observe happen when you try to actually run the installation process?
    I do get a warning, that happened for all the other 4.

Image check failed:

Fri Sep 23 12:03:05 UTC 2022 upgrade: Image metadata not present Fri Sep 23 12:03:05 UTC 2022 upgrade: Use sysupgrade -F to override this check when downgrading or flashing to vendor firmware Image check failed.

• How are you connected to this specific unit?
    over my LAN

• For how long is contact lost?
    I never timed. About 2 minutes?

• How exactly does it "come back" and what do you observe at that time?
    It doesn't upgrade. That is all... The firmware remains the same

• Anything else of note that you've done or observed?
    The only thing is the error message during the upgrade. But, as I mentioned, the same warning happened to all the others.

Many thanks for your help and attention.

Because you already have OpenWrt installed...

The factory file is only used to install for the first time. Therefore it is the incorrect image for upgrading from one version of OpenWrt to another.

Instead, you want the 'sysupgrade' image.
https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=23.05.2&target=ipq40xx%2Fgeneric&id=linksys_whw01

3 Likes

Thank you very much. I generated a new image. Here the new file:
openwrt-23.05.2-c595fedd229a-ipq40xx-generic-linksys_whw01-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Unfortunately, the device didn't come back up on its own. Neither its 192.168.1.1 nor my configured IP are responding. I now need to get to it and perform a hardware reset. Unfortunately I can only do it tomorrow morning. Where it is, I can not go now. It is almost 11pm here.

So, I will try it as soon as I can tomorrow. Probably not before 9am.

Many thanks for all your help. I keep you posted. Sorry about this cliffhanger. :cry:

You just need to connect your computer via ethernet directly to the device you just flashed (the lan port). It will be reachable at 192.168.1.1

If this is not directly connected, that's your problem, and if the device is running on the main network right now, it may cause problems for the network.

1 Like

Well... What can I say? I know. My bad and now I need to wait for tomorrow and hope nothing bad happens.

Thanks again. I will certainly let you know how everything went once I get to it.

Just to be sure, because I noticed that I posted my original request in the wrong category. It is working now. Thanks for your help.

For the record, I tried a factory file, because I bought the devices used and they were with an OpenWRT installation but not very clean... So, I was trying to force a clean one instead.

Anyway, thanks for your help and patience.

I see where you were going with that. But in the case of OpenWrt, two things are true:

• To restore the system to the default condition, based on whatever firmware was flashed, you can simply run firstboot -y && reboot on the command line. That will erase all user-installed packages and configuration files.
    • if the image was a standard OpenWrt release build, the result will be the same as if you downloaded and installed the firmware again, but it's much easier/faster.
    • if the image was customized using the image builder or otherwise non-standard OpenWrt builds, resetting will return it to the default state as defined by the person who generated that image. If that is not your desired state and/or if in doubt, it makes sense to flash a fresh copy.
  • Anytime OpenWrt is already installed, the sysupgrade image is almost always used for the upgrade/re-flash. The factory is typically only for first time (or tftp type recovery) installation.

Anyway, glad you're now up and running!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.