UK VDSL Connection

With massive thanks to people on the forum I managed to get my BT HomeHub5 into a bridge mode.

I'm stuck on my next step now! (doh!)

Does anyone know how to use Network Manager (Kubuntu latest) to authenticate against the UK Vlan system? On my modem running OpenWRT I had to set up a vlan of 1.101 and then it would connect to my Vodafone VDSL account. However while the modem is showing a connected line now, and bridged to enp9s0 on my PC, I can't work out the Network Manager or nmcil settings to auth against the DSL connection.

Anyone in UK done this? Please help!!

Thanks,

Ian

I might be misunderstanding your set-up, but when I was in your shoes I bridged dsl0.7 to lan1.7 and then connected that to my OpenWrt mainrouter running PPPoE over wan.7. Initially I wanted to set things up as trunk, so any VLAN tag emitted from wan would be passed to dsl0, but since I failed to get that going in the time I allotted (and since my ISP is not going to change away from VLAN7 anytime soon) I just hard-coded that on the BT HH5A....
I also set up lan1 to accept VLAN2 so I can access the BT HH5A's LuCI GUI... to get information about the modem.
Please note that on my line the lantiq modem in the BTHH5A proved to be very unstable so I switched this out for a broadcom based zyxel modem (also in bridge mode) which was recommended as harmonizing better to my ISP's linecards and usage of bi-directional vectoring and G.INP, but I assume that this should not be an issue in the UK given that BT should have little appetite for replacing all HH5A units in the field....

Moeller0, thanks for the response. i think I'm a bit confused about the VLAN situation. I've basically got the HH5 forwarding the connection over the red port to enp9s0 on the server. Now I want the server to do the VDSL registration against my Voda account and for it to put the external IP address onto the enp9s0 interface. What I can't figure out is having netplan on Ubuntu supply the ISP with my account details over this weird 1.101 vlan the UK network seems to need!?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ian

enp9s0.101 would probably be the answer.

Hi slh,

I think the BTHH5 is bridging, here is my ip addr results :

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
2: enp3s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:e0:4c:67:89:19 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: enp4s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:e0:4c:67:89:1a brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: enp5s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:e0:4c:67:89:1b brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
5: enp6s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:e0:4c:67:89:1c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
6: enp9s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1508 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 40:b0:76:0f:9b:e5 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet6 fe80::42b0:76ff:fe0f:9be5/64 scope link 
7: enp9s0.101@enp9s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 40:b0:76:0f:9b:e5 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet6 fe80::42b0:76ff:fe0f:9be5/64 scope link 

and I've used activation from this howto : https://askubuntu.com/questions/987982/how-do-i-use-netplan-to-configure-pppoe

Still nothing though, no IP on enp9s0. Is there a way to put username and PW for pppoe into netplan? I've Googled and Googled, but to no success. All I want is the HH5 bridging to enp9s0 (on BT's vlan of 101) and giving me the extrenal static IP on the PC enp9s0 interface!

Any ideas please?

Thanks,

Ian

fwiw, the askubuntu link you provided does seem to suggest how to enter PPPoE username and password?

On the page, search for: /etc/ppp/peers/provider, and /etc/ppp/chap-secret

Hi Bill,

Like these?

cat /etc/ppp/peers/provider
user ################@businessbroadband.vodafone.co.uk
plugin rp-pppoe.so
enp9s0.101
noipdefault
defaultroute
hide-password
lcp-echo-interval 20
lcp-echo-failure 3
noauth
persist
maxfail 0
mtu 1492
noaccomp
default-asyncmap
+ipv4
+ipv6
linkname pppoe

cat /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
* * ################

Because I did RTFM and put those in! Still no connection? Do I need to be using vlan tagging in the netplan do you think, or is OpenWRT handling that? I've tried changing the interface between enp9s0 and enp9s0.101 and it still doesn't go out and auth.

Appreciate your feedback, but am still stuck!

Ian B

Does anyone know if there is a way to check the OpenWRT on the BT HH5 is forwarding the connection to the red wlan port? IP A shows link up on both enp9s0 and enp9s0.101, but I'm not convinced the modem is forwarding properly yet. Surely I should have had some messages in my PC's syslog or dmesg from ppp about failed connection, or refused auth ? There is nothing though.

any advice on how to check?

Thanks,

Ian

In my logs, all I get is messages about PADO packets, which makes me thing the modem is not bridging properly? Can anyone please send me a copy of their config files from /etc/config (with private data redacted of course) to compare?
Thanks,

Ian B

Aug 19 09:07:59 MC pppd[3129]: Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.
Aug 19 09:07:59 MC pppd[3130]: pppd 2.4.7 started by bon, uid 0
Aug 19 09:08:35 MC pppd[3130]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Aug 19 09:08:35 MC pppd[3130]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery
Aug 19 09:09:15 MC pppd[3130]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Aug 19 09:09:15 MC pppd[3130]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery
Aug 19 09:09:43 MC pppd[3160]: Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.

The HH5a if configured correctly as a bridge modem by following my guide, should mimic the old Openreach VDSL2 modems. So No, you should not be using vlan tagging in kubuntu.

sorry, I don't know kubuntu.

Do you have ANY generic (Dlink, Tplink, Linksys etc) cable router (ie. no built in modem) which should offer PPPoE, which you can simply plug into the HH5a 'bridge modem' to confirm the HH5a is configured correctly, by simply entering username & password?

If you have a regular Windows computer, I understand it is easy to configure PPPoE, when computer is direct wired to a bridge modem, but is not something I've tried.
eg.
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-setup-and-use-pppoe-internet-connections-windows-10/

(fwiw, as alternative to HH5a in 'bridge mode', there are also the 'old' Huawei or ECI Openreach VDSL modems - beware of failing capacitors due to age. TP-link TD-W9970 offers 'bridge' mode and can be picked up on eBay UK very cheaply)

ps. last time I tested 'bridge mode' was with LEDE 17 on HH5a, and on ECI modems running OpenWrt 18 snapshot. No reason why it should not work with OpenWrt 19 and later.

Well "Timeout waiting for PADO packets" just tells you that your client sent a PADI packet and failed to get the expected response packet in time. The cause for this can be almost anything related to the network path between the ppp termination points. (This very much includes not having the DSL cable properly put into its socket (or a broken socket), as I once found out)....
I believe you already checked the DSL sync.
The next culprits often are VLAN tags, but in your case you VLSN tag the dsl interface and bridge with an untagged LAN port on the BTHH5A, so your PPPoE client should not even need to set aVLAN tag at all.

Hey chaps,

Thanks for your help on this. REALLY appreciated :slight_smile:

The modem in luci currently shows : DSL Status

**Line State:**UP [0x0]
**Line Mode:**G.993.2 (VDSL2)
**Line Uptime:**1d 5h 21m 13s
**Annex:**B
**Profile:**17a
**Data Rate:**76.344 Mb/s / 19.978 Mb/s
**Max. Attainable Data Rate (ATTNDR):**100.444 Mb/s / 30.882 Mb/s
**Latency:**0.16 ms / 0.0 ms
**Line Attenuation (LATN):**9.1 dB / 8.7 dB
**Signal Attenuation (SATN):**9.1 dB / 8.6 dB
**Noise Margin (SNR):**11.6 dB / 12.0 dB
**Aggregate Transmit Power (ACTATP):**-6.3 dB / 12.8 dB
**Forward Error Correction Seconds (FECS):**0 / 0
**Errored seconds (ES):**0 / 25904
**Severely Errored Seconds (SES):**0 / 328
**Loss of Signal Seconds (LOSS):**3 / 0
**Unavailable Seconds (UAS):**154 / 154
**Header Error Code Errors (HEC):**0 / 0
**Non Pre-emptive CRC errors (CRC_P):**0 / 0
**Pre-emptive CRC errors (CRCP_P):**0 / 0
**ATU-C System Vendor ID:**Broadcom 164.161
**Power Management Mode:**L0 - Synchronized

So I've got VDSL. Now I just want to bridge that over the red port on the HH5 to the PC, which can auth and get the external IP address (I've got a static ipv4).

On ports 1-4 I have the internal br-lan bridge going, with an ip I can access when I plug in to it. I've detached (I believe) the red port from that vlan. The lights on the PC interface shows its live, and shows traffic when I plug it in. However I'm loosing the connection somewhere, as the PC cannot find the PPPOE connection.

On OpenWRT on the HH5, network looks like this :

cat network 
config interface 'loopback'
        option ifname 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
        option ula_prefix 'fd68:e41e:a491::/48'

config dsl 'dsl'
        option annex 'b'
        option tone 'a'
        option ds_snr_offset '0'

config interface 'lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        option ifname 'eth0.1'
        option proto 'static'
        option netmask '255.255.255.0'
        option ip6assign '60'
        option ipaddr '10.1.0.254'

config device 'lan_eth0_1_dev'
        option name 'eth0.1'
        option macaddr 'c8:91:f9:73:47:9a'

config interface 'wan'
        option ifname 'dsl0.101'
        option proto 'none'
        option delegate '0'
        option type 'bridge'

config device 'wan_dsl0_dev'
        option name 'dsl0'
        option macaddr 'c8:91:f9:73:47:9b'

config switch
        option name 'switch0'
        option reset '1'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '1'
        option ports '6t 4 2 0 1'
        option vid '1'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '2'
        option ports '6t 5'
        option vid '2'

& firewall looks like this :

cat firewall
config defaults
        option input 'ACCEPT'
        option output 'ACCEPT'
        option forward 'REJECT'
        option synflood_protect '1'

config zone
        option name 'lan'
        option input 'ACCEPT'
        option output 'ACCEPT'
        option forward 'ACCEPT'
        option network 'lan'

config zone
        option name 'wan'
        option input 'REJECT'
        option output 'ACCEPT'
        option forward 'REJECT'
        option masq '1'
        option mtu_fix '1'

config rule
        option name 'Allow-DHCP-Renew'
        option src 'wan'
        option proto 'udp'
        option dest_port '68'
        option target 'ACCEPT'
        option family 'ipv4'
        option enabled '0'

config rule
        option name 'Allow-Ping'
        option src 'wan'
        option proto 'icmp'
        option icmp_type 'echo-request'
        option family 'ipv4'
        option target 'ACCEPT'
        option enabled '0'

config rule
        option name 'Allow-IGMP'
        option src 'wan'
        option proto 'igmp'
        option family 'ipv4'
        option target 'ACCEPT'
        option enabled '0'

config rule
        option name 'Allow-DHCPv6'
        option src 'wan'
        option proto 'udp'
        option src_ip 'fc00::/6'
        option dest_ip 'fc00::/6'
        option dest_port '546'
        option family 'ipv6'
        option target 'ACCEPT'
        option enabled '0'

config rule
        option name 'Allow-MLD'
        option src 'wan'
        option proto 'icmp'
        option src_ip 'fe80::/10'
        list icmp_type '130/0'
        list icmp_type '131/0'
        list icmp_type '132/0'
        list icmp_type '143/0'
        option family 'ipv6'
        option target 'ACCEPT'
        option enabled '0'

config rule
        option name 'Allow-ICMPv6-Input'
        option src 'wan'
        option proto 'icmp'
        list icmp_type 'echo-request'
        list icmp_type 'echo-reply'
        list icmp_type 'destination-unreachable'
        list icmp_type 'packet-too-big'
        list icmp_type 'time-exceeded'
        list icmp_type 'bad-header'
        list icmp_type 'unknown-header-type'
        list icmp_type 'router-solicitation'
        list icmp_type 'neighbour-solicitation'
        list icmp_type 'router-advertisement'
        list icmp_type 'neighbour-advertisement'
        option limit '1000/sec'
        option family 'ipv6'
        option target 'ACCEPT'
        option enabled '0'

config rule
        option name 'Allow-ICMPv6-Forward'
        option src 'wan'
        option dest '*'
        option proto 'icmp'
        list icmp_type 'echo-request'
        list icmp_type 'echo-reply'
        list icmp_type 'destination-unreachable'
        list icmp_type 'packet-too-big'
        list icmp_type 'time-exceeded'
        list icmp_type 'bad-header'
        list icmp_type 'unknown-header-type'
        option limit '1000/sec'
        option family 'ipv6'
        option target 'ACCEPT'
        option enabled '0'

config rule
        option name 'Allow-IPSec-ESP'
        option src 'wan'
        option dest 'lan'
        option proto 'esp'
        option target 'ACCEPT'
        option enabled '0'

config rule
        option name 'Allow-ISAKMP'
        option src 'wan'
        option dest 'lan'
        option dest_port '500'
        option proto 'udp'
        option target 'ACCEPT'
        option enabled '0'

config include
        option path '/etc/firewall.user'

Can either of you see anything that is wrong there please?

Thanks,

Ian B

BTW, I have also tried the pppoeconfig script on Ubuntu and it finds nothing on enp9s0, or any other port. It can't find a concatonator...

Ian

Here is a section from my /etc/config/network, back from a year ago when I still used the HH5A:

config dsl 'dsl'                                                                                                                    
        option xfer_mode 'ptm'                                                                                                      
        option annex 'b'                                                                                                            
        option tone 'bv'                                                                                                            
        option line_mode 'vdsl'                                                                                                     
        option ds_snr_offset '0'                                                                                                    
        option firmware '/etc/config/vr9-B-dsl.fb7490-labor-75736.bin'                                                              

config device 'ptm_dev'                                                                                                             
        option type '8021q'                                                                                                         
        option mtu '1500'                                                                                                           
        option mac 'C8:91:F9:30:88:89'                                                                                              
        option vid '7'                                                                                                              
        option ifname 'dsl0'                                                                                                        
        option name 'dsl0.7'                                                                                                    

config interface 'modem'                                                                                                            
        option type 'bridge'                                                                                                        
        option proto 'none'                                                                                                         
        option delegate '0'                                                                                                         
        option _orig_ifname 'eth0.2 dsl0.7'                                                                                         
        option _orig_bridge 'true'                                                                                                  
        option ifname 'eth0.7 dsl0.7'         

[...]

config switch                                                                                                                       
        option name 'switch0'                                                                                                       
        option reset '1'                                                                                                            
        option enable_vlan '1'                                                                                                      

config switch_vlan                                                                                                                  
        option device 'switch0'                                                                                                     
        option vlan '1'                                                                                                             
        option vid '1'                                                                                                              
        option ports '0 1 2 4 6t'                                                                                                   

config switch_vlan                                                                                                                  
        option device 'switch0'                                                                                                     
        option vlan '2'                                                                                                             
        option vid '2'                                                                                                              
        option ports '5t 6t'                                                                                                        

config switch_vlan                                                                                                                  
        option device 'switch0'                                                                                                     
        option vlan '3'                                                                                                             
        option vid '3'                                                                                                              
        option ports '5t 6t'                                                                                                        

config switch_vlan                                                                                                                  
        option device 'switch0'                                                                                                     
        option vlan '4'                                                                                                             
        option ports '5t 6t'                                                                                                        
        option vid '4'                                                                                                              

config switch_vlan                                                                                                                  
        option device 'switch0'                                                                                                     
        option vlan '5'                                                                                                             
        option vid '5'                                                                                                              
        option ports '5t 6t'                                                                                                        

config switch_vlan                                                                                                                  
        option device 'switch0'                                                                                                     
        option vlan '6'                                                                                                             
        option vid '6'                                                                                                              
        option ports '5t 6t'                                                                                                        

config switch_vlan                                                                                                                  
        option device 'switch0'                                                                                                     
        option vlan '7'                                                                                                             
        option vid '7'                                                                                                              
        option ports '5t 6t'                                                                                                        

IIRC correctly I had it set up such, that via VLAN2 I could access the modem's GUI, and via VLAN7 the bridged DSL-link (my ISP requires VLAN7). That way I only need one cable between router and modem....

Hi Moeller,

I'm on 6.5 hours on this today, and it's still not playing! It's now bugging me!!

Bill suggested I follow his guide, so I've reset the modem to factory (openwrt) defaults and restored my original config files. The modem connected to the DSL account on pppoe. So the DSL is fine. Then I followed Bill's guide and changed modem settings according to that, and on 2 different PC's (one on Mint Linux, one on Kubuntu) I've tried to get them talking on the vlan 101 to the modem to auth. Nothing. pppoeconf finds nothing. I'm utterly stuck!

I'm sure Bill's openwrt config guide must be right, so why can't any of my computers find the vdsl concentrator? Any ideas? I think I must be screwing up the PC side of things, not the modem.

Any suggestions greatly valued.

Ian

If the HH5a is configured as described in my guide, do NOT configure vlan 101 on any router (or computer in your case) you subsequently connect to the HH5a bridge modem.

Only 3 parameters are needed to set up any generic router (without modem) wired to a bridge modem used on Openreach supplied VDSL2 superfast broadband services. ie. select PPPoE protocol, and enter username, and password. No other parameters required.

I know bridge mode worked with LEDE 17 and I think OpenWrt 18. Not personally tested with Openwrt 19 or 20.

Try a generic router to verify the bridge modem is working?

Perhaps post your /etc/config/network file? (The one you posted earlier today does not show any bridge between DSL and ethernet ports)

I think the wan section of your earlier posted 'network' file should read:

config interface 'wan'
	option proto 'none'
	option delegate '0'
	option type 'bridge'
	option ifname 'dsl0.101 eth0.2'                  #  bridged