Ubiquiti Edgerouter X: Unable to create initramfs-factory.tar

I have the git branch for openwrt-18.06 and it compiles. But it does not compile into the target i need. I am installing on a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X. According to this guide:
https://openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/ubiquiti_edgerouter_x_er-x_ka

I need the openwrt-ramips-mt7621-ubnt-erx-initramfs-factory.tar target generated. But i am unable to generate it. I keep getting targets like this:
openwrt-ramips-mt7621-device-ubnt-erx.manifest
openwrt-ramips-mt7621-device-ubnt-erx-rootfs.tar.gz
openwrt-ramips-mt7621-ubnt-erx-initramfs-kernel.bin
openwrt-ramips-mt7621-ubnt-erx-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar

How do i make a "initramfs-factory.tar" file?

Under "make menuconfig" i select:
Target System (MediaTek Ralink MIPS) --->
Subtarget (MT7621 based boards) --->
Target Profile (Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X) --->

Under "Target Images" i unselect "squashfs" and leave "ramdisk" selected with lzma.

What am i doing wrong?

Seems the devicepage is a bit outdated; I have updated it now.

Not exactly your device, but close enough:

Mentioning of the kernel.bin instead of tar (already back in 2017, an still today the bin is being built, not the tar):

See also

2 Likes

ubnt@ubnt:/tmp$ add system image openwrt-18.06.2-ramips-mt7621-ubnt-erx-initramfs-kernel.bin
Version [v1.9.7+hotfix.3.5013617.170830.0227] is about to be replaced
Are you sure you want to replace old version? (Yes/No) [Yes]: yes
Checking upgrade image...Upgrade image does not support the device. Upgrade failed.
/tmp
ubnt@ubnt:/tmp$

Hum. Do i need to downgrade edgeos before i install this? I have EdgeRouter ER-X/ER-X-SFP/EP-R6: Firmware v2.0.4 installed?

1 Like

Thank you for your update. But it didn't work for me either or maybe I got something wrong.
putty_LBRL2phcIM
EdgeOS was v1.10.7

What worked for me was flashing the "openwrt-ramips-mt7621-ubnt-erx-initramfs-factory.tar" from this german wiki:
https://wiki.opennet-initiative.de/wiki/Ubiquiti_EdgeRouter
After that I could flash the sysupgrade file from the official OpenWRT wiki.

OpenWRT 18.06.2 @ ER-X

4 Likes

the kernel is too large, if you look at the output (V=s) you will see, try to disable kernel stuff and maybe you will get the needed image or use old branch with older kernel just for the initial image

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.