Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X :: no Luci, no opkg!

Have been using OpenWRT with TP-Link for many years.
Now trying with Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X.
Flowing in this:
https://openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/edgerouter_x_er-x_ka

Used the file:
openwrt-ramips-mt7621-ubnt_edgerouter-x-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

The problem:

• It is listening only the 22 port.
  • If I ssh to the router there is no 'opkg' to install Luci !

What I did wrong ?

You apparently installed the snapshot build, which does not include LuCI by default. Fortunately there is a stable build for EdgeRouter X. Try using that instead.

2 Likes

Thank you but the file you pointed is that same I already had:

$ md5sum openwrt-23.05.0-ramips-mt7621-ubnt_edgerouter-x-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin*
667cb5c760f82ed540dc6ff5115ec567  openwrt-23.05.0-ramips-mt7621-ubnt_edgerouter-x-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
667cb5c760f82ed540dc6ff5115ec567  openwrt-23.05.0-ramips-mt7621-ubnt_edgerouter-x-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin.1

Clearly it is not running 23.05. Try upgrading to 23.05 by the CLI sysupgrade command.
Simplest (if it works): connect router to Internet, run sysupgrade <URL> by pasting the URL from the download page.
Other method: use scp to push the sysupgrade file from your PC to router's /tmp directory:
[on PC CLI -- this works on MacOS, Linux, and Windows 10/11]
scp <FILENAME> root@192.168.1.1:/tmp
[on router CLI]
sysupgrade -n /tmp/<FILENAME>
The -F option may also be necessary with sysupgrade. Be very careful with -F that you have the correct file, as it will bypass all file checks and flash any file, which will cause a brick if the file is wrong.

1 Like

What does it say when you run opkg?

Thank you, it is working now... OpenWrt 23.05.0, r23497-6637af95aa
BUT:

• Following the tutorial I ended here:
    images

• In this repo one find only this image at subdir "Version 22.03":
    f9521cfca986cae3c9c9ca3f85667e22 openwrt-ramips-mt7621-ubnt_edgerouter-x-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
    That it is not an image with Luci, package manager, etc...

• The image that was helpful was this one:
    good image
    That it is present in the tutorial but in the beginning of the text...

• So, if one start to follow the HOWTO step-by-step it is very possible that one choose to clone the repository and end with a not so helpful image been installed !

Hope that this help someone in the future and - again - thanks to this nice forum and elbertmai :slight_smile:

EdgeRouter X does have a funky initial install setup where you have to install some older, customized build of OpenWrt before installing the latest version. IIRC that build is a bare-minimum firmware designed solely for upgrading to the latest OpenWrt, which might make things confusing.

Fortunately this is only for the initial setup, subsequent sysupgrades should be less painful.