Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X: *-factory.bin image missing?

@Arie. OK I think I understand better the fork concept. This weekend I am
going to attempt to setup an environment to do my own compiles as I need to
learn. If I cannot get through it I will definitely take you up on your
offer to build me an image!

With that said I have a few questions. Is your fork going to automatically
be updated as changes are made to the base LEDE source? Also, since this
is based on current code (not stable), do I need to be concerned about
bugs?

Thanks.

@tally not automatically, but I update it regulary. I run this build on my home router, but since it's based on the latest lede master, it might be buggy or unstable.
I've had no issues so far though.

@Arie - I have my development box setup. So after I checkout / clone your fork - do you simply do this:

"cp config.seed .config" and then issue "make" to compile; and that's it?

Thanks.

cp config.seed .config
make menuconfig or make defconfig
make

@Arie Well I just did my first compile - good learning experience. I cloned your fork, copied config.seed to .config, issued make menuconfig and just went with all the default options. I am sure I probably did this incorrectly. Basically after the compile completed, a bin directory was created but with no factory or sysupgrade image anywhere. I gather I need to trigger some different options on the compile? Thanks for the help as I learn the ropes.

There was probably an error during compiling.

Try running it again with make -j1 V=s and check if there's an error.

I was thinking of purchasing this device. Can this device handle around 200Mbps on the downstream with SQM (cake) enabled? I was wanting to use it as a gateway router to my modem with a firewall and SQM to handle bufferbloat, then use my TL-WR1043ND V3 as a Wireless AP/Switch because the ports are limited on the EdgeRouter X. Would you guys say it's worth the buy for my needs?

On the stock firmware with cake (get cake here: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/Cake-and-FQ-PIE-compiled-for-the-EdgeRouter-devices/td-p/1679844 ) it handles about ~220Mbit total before it runs out of CPU.

On LEDE with the SFE patches you can do about ~550Mbit total.

"There was probably an error during compiling.

Try running it again with make -j1 V=s and check if there’s an error."

@Arie - the following sysupgrade file was created this time when I ran the compile: arie-r5218-9a9869ae5c-ramips-mt7621-ubnt-erx-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar

The only change I made was that I ran Make as you suggested but cloned your source to a directory called lede this time versus a different directory previously. At any rate, looks like it created the file! Thank you.

Now - what I would really like to do is create an image based off of stable 17.01.4. How do I go about that step by step in terms of cloning 17.01.4 to dev environment, applying the SFW code, and then moving on to the compile? I really want to stay with 17.01.04 and just add SFE to it. Thanks again.

I have just cloned the GitHub repo from @Arie and updated the feeds, wondering where the elusive config.seed has gone, that is mentioned in the thread. Or has FASTPATH been included as part of the "normal" LEDE when compiling fw for the ER-X?

Added it now

Thank you @Arie :slight_smile:

Hi guys,

Can someone shot a quick video on YouTube showing the process of flashing Edge Router X with LEDE + Luci.
Also can you please confirm is there any chance to flash the device without using Serial cable or TFTP, because as far as I know since beginning of 2017 most of the Ubiquiti products can't be simply flashed due the signature check.

Thanks.

P.S. Currently we are using EdgeRouter Lite 3 port, flashing that one was quite easy, because they used a USB there.

This is a good guide: http://sector5d.org/openwrt-on-the-ubiquiti-edgerouter-x.html

You absolutely need the serial cable to get it to load firmware via TFTP for the reasons you described. It's not the easiest device to flash to LEDE, but at least it doesn't require soldering :slight_smile:

@rnicolaev, no need to use serial on this device. I have just bought a unit and gone through the same process going from stock to latest LEDE. I had found the same blog, but was also reading up on the OpenWRT page https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/ubiquiti_edgerouter_x_er-x_ka, where someone was successful in going through stock SSH, upgrading the kernel first and then a full sys upgrade with the minimal installation. I compiled LEDE with @arie 's fork to use certain patches, but could not find the right config to generate the ubnt-erx-initramfs-factory.tar, which is needed using this method. I took it from https://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/targets/ramips/mt7621/ and then used my own sysupgrade package for the final step. You could also just take the one provided by LEDE dev or stable. Good luck :slight_smile:

Cool, did not know you could do that :slight_smile:

Arie, which SFE patches did you apply on your fork? I'd like to apply them on the stable release but I can't seem to find them.
Thanks.

Any images for an Edgerouter X with SFE enabled?

Or is the best for us newbies to use Arie's gitub from October and build it?

There is way better stuff available for this device (hardware offloading for ipv4 (for now), and flow offloading) in the openwrt master branch. No need for SFE.
Grab the latest openwrt git and build it yourself and check this post:

I build the factroy.tar and share it here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NEMuJCtJy7CUp-09vaD3vJ3c3yPqmgpy

ssh: 192.168.15.1
user: root
password: admin

u guys can install it first then sysupgrade to openwrt (download from official)